1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Game ideas

1. Oct 31, 2005 #1

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

I really like programming 3D games in C++/OpenGL. I've been doing it for years and I've gotten pretty good. Now I just finished a game and I'm looking for good ideas for my next one. To pass my time I tried to create coordinated AI movement around obsticles, that works pretty good but it isn't a game. Can anyone give me good, original ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Create a 3d adventure game where you can interact with almost everything and has a non-linear plot.

4. Oct 31, 2005 #3

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Thanks, thats a neat idea but since I have to do everything by myself (programming,graphics,modelling,sound...) I'm looking for a smaller and less graphic intensive kind of games. I'm more into the programming and especialy AI. - Dont get me wrong, I want the graphics to be great but not the focus of the game. A fully interactive game has to be extremely detailed.
    Also I'm not the best story writer so I'd rather focus on RTS games or first person shooter games, - does anyone have a cool RTS idea ( nuclear war...)
    I'm keeping an open mind though so please post any idea that enters your head!!
    But does any artist want to help?

5. Nov 1, 2005 #4

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

any ideas?

6. Nov 1, 2005 #5
    Why don't you try and do a sports game?

I know next to nothing about game creation, but I'd imagine its a lot more straightforward to create a sports sim than a large RPG or something.

I'd say a soccer/american football/basketball game would be hard, but how about a tennis/golf/baseball/cricket sim?

PS

7. Nov 1, 2005 #6
    Create a puzzle game of some sort. Something like bejeweled, but different. Those are always fun and aren't very complicated. Instead of a 2D game find a way to put someone into the game spacially.

I guess you will have to figure out what kinds of puzzles can be solved in 3 dimensions. Try to make it a puzzle that requires 3 dimensions to solve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?