Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Game ideas

1. Oct 31, 2005 #1

Gold Member

I really like programming 3D games in C++/OpenGL. I've been doing it for years and I've gotten pretty good. Now I just finished a game and I'm looking for good ideas for my next one. To pass my time I tried to create coordinated AI movement around obsticles, that works pretty good but it isn't a game. Can anyone give me good, original ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus

Create a 3d adventure game where you can interact with almost everything and has a non-linear plot.
  4. Oct 31, 2005 #3

Gold Member

Thanks, thats a neat idea but since I have to do everything by myself (programming,graphics,modelling,sound...) I'm looking for a smaller and less graphic intensive kind of games. I'm more into the programming and especialy AI. - Dont get me wrong, I want the graphics to be great but not the focus of the game. A fully interactive game has to be extremely detailed.
    Also I'm not the best story writer so I'd rather focus on RTS games or first person shooter games, - does anyone have a cool RTS idea ( nuclear war...)
    I'm keeping an open mind though so please post any idea that enters your head!!
    But does any artist want to help?
  5. Nov 1, 2005 #4

Gold Member

any ideas?
  6. Nov 1, 2005 #5
    Why don't you try and do a sports game?

I know next to nothing about game creation, but I'd imagine its a lot more straightforward to create a sports sim than a large RPG or something.

I'd say a soccer/american football/basketball game would be hard, but how about a tennis/golf/baseball/cricket sim?

7. Nov 1, 2005 #6
    Create a puzzle game of some sort. Something like bejeweled, but different. Those are always fun and aren't very complicated. Instead of a 2D game find a way to put someone into the game spacially.

I guess you will have to figure out what kinds of puzzles can be solved in 3 dimensions. Try to make it a puzzle that requires 3 dimensions to solve.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?