Creative Ideas for 3D C++/OpenGL Game Development

In summary, the person likes programming 3D games in C++/OpenGL and has been doing it for years. They just finished a game and are looking for ideas on their next game. They tried to create coordinated AI movement around obstacles, but it wasn't very successful. They also mentioned wanting a smaller and less graphic intensive game, and wanting to focus on programming and AI. They have an open mind, but are mainly interested in sports games and puzzle games.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
I really like programming 3D games in C++/OpenGL. I've been doing it for years and I've gotten pretty good. Now I just finished a game and I'm looking for good ideas for my next one. To pass my time I tried to create coordinated AI movement around obsticles, that works pretty good but it isn't a game. Can anyone give me good, original ideas?

Technology news on Phys.org
Create a 3d adventure game where you can interact with almost everything and has a non-linear plot.

Thanks, that's a neat idea but since I have to do everything by myself (programming,graphics,modelling,sound...) I'm looking for a smaller and less graphic intensive kind of games. I'm more into the programming and especialy AI. - Dont get me wrong, I want the graphics to be great but not the focus of the game. A fully interactive game has to be extremely detailed.
Also I'm not the best story writer so I'd rather focus on RTS games or first person shooter games, - does anyone have a cool RTS idea ( nuclear war...)
I'm keeping an open mind though so please post any idea that enters your head!
But does any artist want to help?

any ideas?

Why don't you try and do a sports game?

I know next to nothing about game creation, but I'd imagine its a lot more straightforward to create a sports sim than a large RPG or something.

I'd say a soccer/american football/basketball game would be hard, but how about a tennis/golf/baseball/cricket sim?

PS

Create a puzzle game of some sort. Something like bejeweled, but different. Those are always fun and aren't very complicated. Instead of a 2D game find a way to put someone into the game spacially.

I guess you will have to figure out what kinds of puzzles can be solved in 3 dimensions. Try to make it a puzzle that requires 3 dimensions to solve.

1. What is the difference between C++ and OpenGL in game development?

C++ is a programming language that is commonly used in game development due to its speed and flexibility. It is used to write the core game logic and handle tasks such as physics and AI. OpenGL, on the other hand, is a graphics API that is used to render 3D graphics in a game. It allows for more realistic and immersive visuals by utilizing the computer's graphics hardware. In summary, C++ is used for game logic while OpenGL is used for graphics rendering.

2. How can I come up with creative ideas for my 3D game development project?

There are several ways to generate creative ideas for your game project. One approach is to draw inspiration from your favorite games and add your own unique twist to them. Another approach is to brainstorm with a team or gather feedback from potential players to come up with new and innovative ideas. It's also helpful to research current trends in the gaming industry and think about how you can incorporate them into your game.

3. Is C++/OpenGL game development suitable for beginners?

C++/OpenGL game development can be challenging for beginners, as it requires a strong understanding of both C++ programming and OpenGL graphics rendering. However, with dedication and practice, beginners can learn and master these skills. It's recommended to start with simpler game projects and gradually work your way up to more complex ones.

4. What are some important tips for optimizing performance in 3D C++/OpenGL games?

Optimizing performance is essential in 3D C++/OpenGL game development to ensure smooth gameplay and prevent crashes. Some tips for optimizing performance include minimizing the use of global variables, using efficient data structures, and avoiding unnecessary calculations. It's also important to regularly test and debug your game to identify and fix any performance issues.

5. Can I use 3D models and assets from online sources in my C++/OpenGL game?

Yes, you can use 3D models and assets from online sources in your C++/OpenGL game, as long as you have the appropriate licenses and permissions for their use. It's important to read and understand the terms and conditions of these sources and give proper credit to the creators. You can also create your own 3D models and assets using software such as Blender, Maya, or 3ds Max.