Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Game Pad

1. Feb 11, 2004 #1
    I just bought a new game pad from Logitech.

I'm not a regular gamer, so I was wondering how I can get this gamepad to work with games like Call of Duty, which doesn't even show the option.

For Vice City, it makes me configure the controls every time, and most of the buttons don't even have an effect so I can't play the game completely with the gamepad.

Do the games have to be configured with the game pad previous, like EA NHL series?

This is the one I have:

It's being used on my new HP running Windows XP.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus

Bah, its ok to use a gamepad for EA NHL, but never use them for first person type shooters. Real men use the old keyboard and mouse combo.
  4. Feb 12, 2004 #3
    gamepad = console
    keyboard + mouse = computer
  5. Feb 13, 2004 #4
    You're kidding right?

The gamepad has a better feel, easier to use.

Instead, I'm playing Call of Duty with one hand on the mouse, and the other frantically pounding the keys on the keyboard.

Wasn't there also a saying, "Real men use the command line", and then these "real men", ended-up using a GUI OS?
  6. Feb 13, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus

I don't see how you can get any accuracy with a gamepad. I also don't see how you can have access to all the options available to you. There just aren't enough buttons on a gamepad. When I play Enemy Territory I control about 13+ keys with my left hand and two plus scroll wheel on the right. You can't be any good at the game if you control any less.
  7. Feb 13, 2004 #6

Lots of multitasking there eh?

As I said before, I'm not a frequent gamer. I'm having trouble turning in Call of Duty. I can't stress how stupid I feel after planting bombs and blowing my self up because I am unable to turn left, and walk forward towards safer ground.

:frown: [b(]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?