1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Game Probability Modeling

1. Jun 25, 2014 #1
    I wanted to model a particular game and determine the probability for each team to win. I have no idea how to do the determination of probability part, but here's the game broken down:

There are 3 types of players, T's, D's and I's.

The amount of each type of player is as follows:
    1/8 D
    2/8 T
    5/8 I
    (game is only played in multiples of 8)

All of the T's, D's and I's are placed in a list, every turn 2 distinct players from the list are chosen randomly and interact according to the following:

T--fights I, fights D, peace T
    D--kills I, peace D, fights T
    I--fights I, dies D, fights T

"fights" - a coin flip determines which player goes back into the list for the next round
    "peace" - both players go back into the list for the next round
    "kills" - the player who is killing has a 100% chance to remove the other player from the list and return for the next round
    "dies" - the player who is dying has a 100% chance to be removed from the list
    The game ends when either:
    -only T's remain (T win)
    -all T's are removed from the list (T lose)

Where should I start in terms of getting the probability breakdown for whether T's win or lose?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There are two methods to do this:

- make a large tree diagram, keeping track of all options (e.g. after one round: [0 D 2 T 5 I or 1 D 1 T 5 I or 1 D 2 T 4 I]). This gives exact values, but takes a while both manually and with computer assistance.
    - simulate 10000 (or more) games and just see how often T wins. This does not give an exact result, but if you have some programming knowledge it could be faster.

4. Jun 25, 2014 #3
    I did the second, I'm a bit disappointed there isn't a more clever mathy way to go about things. :frown:

5. Jun 25, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is a possible simplification: as there is just one D, "D peace D" never happens. Every selection of {D,I} leads to a death of one of them. T does not distinguish between the groups, so you can reduce the analysis to two groups: T and non-T.
    That should have a reasonable tree diagram and it is much easier to evaluate, as you just have to consider four cases each time (T T, T non-T and T wins, T non-T and non-T wins, non-T non-T). Should be possible with pen and paper.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook