Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Game Theory discuss!

1. Nov 11, 2004 #1
    Hello there Ph.D's and not-yet-PhDs ....

Just "discovered" game theory for myself today and am interested in finding websites, books, and professional journals that meet your high standards. I'm a beginner in game theory, and I'm not a scientist, but I do read the Journal of Memetics, Journal of Psychology, Nature for fun so I'm familiar with technical terminology.

So thank you for your responses in advance..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2004 #2
    Not necessarily a "bump", but I'd definitely like to hear what people (specifically mathematicians) think of game theory. I'm a double major in mathematics and economics, and so I thought game theory would be right up my alley. Alas, I found it boring once I picked up some books. Maybe I need a good professor. Maybe I need to learn topology. *shrugs*

So, anyone? :)
  4. Nov 14, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Here's three books to start. Tehy're all from Dover (www.doverpublications.com), so they're cheap.
    1.Games and Decisions by Luce and Raiffa.
    2. Game Theory, a nontechnical introduction, by Davis.
    3. Games, Theory and Applications, by Thomas.

The first two are non mathematical, and the third one requires a little matrix theory.
  5. Nov 20, 2004 #4

Thanks for the recommendations.. :smile:

I'm still learning about this myself and I will post questions or ideas when I think of them.
  6. Dec 19, 2004 #5
    "Essays on Game Theory" - By John F. Nash

I too have gained some interest in this area of Mathematics. I have not read the book I recommended you. However I am ultimately sure that the book will give a great learning experience for you, since the author of the Book is a great genius.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  7. Jan 7, 2005 #6
    The learning experience does not depend on the genius who wrote some essays but on the match between the initial level of the book and the reader's expertise, imho.
    - Unless the reader is a great genius.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?