1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Game theory

1. Feb 20, 2005 #1
    So I know this isn't exactly a math/physics question, but game theory is close enough so that hopefully someone can help me out.

I am supposed to find ALL Nash Equilibrium for a given three player game such that player 1 has the choices U,D... player 2 has the choices L,R... and player three can choose A,B.

the payoffs are represented by two matrices. The first step is really easy in that player two's dominate strategy is R... this leaves a matrix with the values

where the first number is the utility to player 1, and the second is the utility to player 3.

This leaves two pure strategy nash equilibrium of 06,15 and 14,12. I need to find the mixed strategy nash equilibrium...

So, setting the probability that player one chooses U is x, and D is 1-x, and the probability that player three chooses A is y, and B is 1-y.

From here I get the two equations

from here, I thought that I could just plug the second equation into the first, and get a value for y, which would give a value for x, and then I would have my probabilities, but this isnt working for me... Am I doing the set-up incorrectly? Am I missing something? Thanks for any help

(sorry about the TEX formatting, i couldnt get carriage return to work)
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted