Finding the Sin of an Angle Between Two Vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the cosine relationship between two arbitrary vectors with an angle of \gamma and the ambiguity that arises when only the cosine form is known. The equation for cos\gamma is provided, but the speaker is unsure of the correct term to search for in a search engine. They also request clarification on the angles and their relationships.
touqra
For two arbitrary vectors, subtending an angle, [tex] \gamma [/tex], I know the cos relationship, but what's the sin relationship ? I ask because there is an ambiguity by only knowing the cosine form, since vector A can be either above or below vector B.

[tex] cos\gamma = cos\theta_1 cos\theta_2 + sin\theta_1 sin\theta_2 cos( \phi_1 - \phi_2 ) [/tex]

I don't know what's the correct term I should type in for search engine.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
touqra said:
For two arbitrary vectors, subtending an angle, [tex] \gamma [/tex], I know the cos relationship, but what's the sin relationship ? I ask because there is an ambiguity by only knowing the cosine form, since vector A can be either above or below vector B.

[tex] cos\gamma = cos\theta_1 cos\theta_2 + sin\theta_1 sin\theta_2 cos( \phi_1 - \phi_2 ) [/tex]

I don't know what's the correct term I should type in for search engine.
It would clarify things if you could state what all these angles are and their relationships.

What is the formula for finding the sin of an angle between two vectors?

The formula for finding the sin of an angle between two vectors is |a x b| / |a||b|, where a and b are the two vectors and |a| and |b| represent their magnitudes.

Can the sin of an angle between two vectors be negative?

Yes, the sin of an angle between two vectors can be negative. The sign of the sin value depends on the orientation of the vectors and the direction of the angle.

How do I find the angle between two vectors using their components?

To find the angle between two vectors using their components, you can use the dot product formula: cosθ = (a · b) / (|a||b|), where a and b are the two vectors and θ is the angle between them.

Is the angle between two vectors always acute?

No, the angle between two vectors can be acute, right, obtuse, or even straight (180 degrees). It depends on the direction and orientation of the vectors.

Can I find the sin of an angle between two vectors without knowing their magnitudes?

Yes, it is possible to find the sin of an angle between two vectors without knowing their magnitudes. You can use the cross product formula: |a x b| = |a||b|sinθ, where θ is the angle between the vectors.