1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gamma Function Convergence

1. Jun 5, 2005 #1
    I just learned induction in another thread and I'm curious if it can be used to prove that the gamma function converges for [itex]p\geq0[/itex]. I'm not sure if it can be used in this way. Is this wrong?

Gamma Function is defined as:
    [tex]\Gamma(p+1)=\int_0^\infty e^{-x}x^p \,dx[/tex] We're trying to show that this converges for [itex]p\geq0[/itex]

Smallest case, p=0:
    [tex]\Gamma(1)=1[/tex] converges

Assume the following converges:
    [tex]\Gamma(p)=\int_0^\infty e^{-x}x^{p-1} \,dx[/tex]

Using integration by parts we find:

So since
    [tex]\Gamma(p)[/tex] converges
    [tex]\Gamma(p+1)=p\Gamma(p)[/tex] must also converge
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For which values of p are you assuming it holds? Let's assume it holds for all [itex]1\leq p \leq p'[/itex] for some real number [itex]p'\geq 1[/itex].
    for [itex]p\in [1,p'][/itex]
    for [itex]p\in[1,p'][/itex].

Together with the first step of the induction process, you've shown that [itex]\Gamma(p+1)[/itex] converges for p=0,1,2,3,4,..., but not for the real numbers in between.
    If you can show that [itex]\Gamma(p+1)[/itex] converges for [itex]0\leq p <1[/itex] your induction shows it to be true for all real numbers [itex]p\geq 1[/itex]. Can you see why?
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2005
  4. Jun 5, 2005 #3
    Ah right, that was my assumption that it was true for some real number greater than 1. I should have been more explicit.

To prove that [itex]\Gamma(p+1)[/itex] converges for [itex]0\leq p <1[/itex] couldn't I just say that [itex]\Gamma(1+1) \geq \Gamma(0+1)[/itex] and since [itex]\Gamma(1+1)[/itex] converges then the gamma function must converge for [itex]0 \leq p \leq 1[/itex]?
  5. Oct 11, 2010 #4
    looks like u only showed that it converges for all natural numbers
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?