Solving Gamma Function Int xe^-x^3 from 0 to Infinity

In summary, to solve the integral \int xe^{-x^{3}}dx from 0 to infinity, substitute u=x^3 and change all variables to u, leading to the solution of \Gamma = \int x^{p-1}e^{-x} from 0 to infinity. The exponent of 3 on e can be eliminated through this substitution, resulting in the answer of gamma(2/3)/3. This method may not be mentioned in the textbook, but it was confirmed to be effective by Wolfram and other sources.
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

[tex]\int xe^{-x^{3}}dx[/tex]

from 0 to infinity

Homework Equations

[tex]\Gamma[/tex] = [tex]\int x^{p-1}e^{-x}[/tex]

from 0 to infinity

The Attempt at a Solution

my problem is I'm not sure what i am supposed to do with the exponent of 3 on the e, because it seems to affect the answer. Wolfram gave me gamma(2/3)/3.

My textbook states nothing on it and i can't find anything on the net.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure it affects the answer. Get rid of it by substituting u=x^3 and change everything to the variable u.

Dick said:
Sure it affects the answer. Get rid of it by substituting u=x^3 and change everything to the variable u.

worked, thank you

1. What is the Gamma function?

The Gamma function, denoted by Γ(x), is a mathematical function that extends the factorial function to non-integer values. It is defined as Γ(x) = ∫0 t^(x-1)e^(-t)dt and is commonly used in various fields of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. How do you solve for the Gamma function?

The Gamma function can be evaluated using numerical methods or by using various integral identities and properties. In the case of solving the integral Γ(x) = ∫0 t^(x-1)e^(-t)dt, one approach is to use the substitution u = t^(x-1) to convert the integral into a form that can be solved using standard integration techniques.

3. What is the significance of solving Gamma function Int xe^-x^3 from 0 to Infinity?

The integral Γ(x) = ∫0 t^(x-1)e^(-t)dt is often used in statistical and probability calculations, as well as in the study of various physical phenomena such as radioactive decay and blackbody radiation. Solving this integral allows for the calculation of various important values and probabilities in these areas.

4. What are the limits of the Gamma function Int xe^-x^3 from 0 to Infinity?

The limits of the integral Γ(x) = ∫0 t^(x-1)e^(-t)dt are 0 and infinity, as indicated by the notation of the integral. This means that the integral is evaluated over the entire positive real number line, starting from 0 and extending to infinity.

5. Can the Gamma function Int xe^-x^3 from 0 to Infinity be approximated?

Yes, the Gamma function integral can be approximated using various numerical methods such as Simpson's rule or the trapezoidal rule. These methods involve dividing the integral into smaller segments and using a formula to estimate the area under the curve. While these approximations may not be exact, they can provide a good estimate of the value of the integral.