Trouble with Calculating Gamma Function Integral Convergence on Wolfram Alpha?

In summary, the conversation discusses the antiderivative of the gamma function and why Wolfram Alpha may have trouble calculating its convergence at certain points. The definite integrals of the gamma function do not have a constant of integration and the integrand blows up at certain points, making it difficult to evaluate. The use of Fubini's theorem is mentioned as a way to obtain the result, but the question remains as to why Wolfram Alpha cannot evaluate the antiderivative.
Mandelbroth
This is mostly calculus, but the question is computer based, I think.

The antiderivative of the gamma function is, fairly trivially, ##\displaystyle \int_{0}^{+\infty}\frac{t^{z-1}}{e^{t}\ln{t}}-C##, where C is an arbitrary constant.

Why does Wolfram Alpha have trouble calculating the convergence of that integral at any given point?

Physics news on Phys.org
Definite integrals do not have a constant of integration. What values of z are you having trouble with? The integrand blows up at t = 0 for Re(z) <1 and the integral diverges for z = 0, -1, -2, etc.

mathman said:
Definite integrals do not have a constant of integration. What values of z are you having trouble with? The integrand blows up at t = 0 for Re(z) <1 and the integral diverges for z = 0, -1, -2, etc.
That's not what I'm saying. :tongue:

I'm saying that ##\displaystyle \int \Gamma(z) dz = \int\int_{0}^{+\infty}\frac{t^{z-1}}{e^{t}}\, dt \ dz = \int_{0}^{+\infty}\frac{t^{z-1}}{e^{t}\ln{t}}-C##. I'm evaluating the antiderivative, or "indefinite" integral, of the Gamma function. It's fairly evident that I used Fubini's theorem, because it's the only sensible way to obtain that result.

I'm asking why the antiderivative of the Gamma function can't be evaluated by Wolfram Alpha.

I now understand what you did. However I have never worked with Wolfram Alpha, so I can't help you there.

1. What is the Gamma Function Integral?

The Gamma Function Integral is a mathematical function that generalizes the factorial function to real and complex numbers. It is denoted by the symbol Γ(z) and is defined as the integral from 0 to infinity of x^(z-1)e^(-x) dx, where z is a complex number.

2. What is the significance of the Gamma Function Integral?

The Gamma Function Integral has many important applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in the study of probability and statistics, as well as in the evaluation of various mathematical series and integrals. It also plays a crucial role in the development of the theory of complex numbers.

3. How is the Gamma Function Integral related to the factorial function?

The Gamma Function Integral is closely related to the factorial function, as it is a generalization of it. Specifically, for positive integers n, Γ(n) is equal to (n-1)!. This relationship allows for the extension of the factorial function to non-integer values.

4. What are some properties of the Gamma Function Integral?

The Gamma Function Integral has several important properties, including the reflection formula Γ(z)Γ(1-z) = π/sin(πz), the recurrence relation Γ(z+1) = zΓ(z), and the duplication formula Γ(2z) = (2^(2z-1)/√π)Γ(z)Γ(z+1/2). It also satisfies the identity Γ(z+1) = zΓ(z), which is known as the Euler's Reflection Formula.

5. How is the Gamma Function Integral evaluated?

There are various methods for evaluating the Gamma Function Integral, including numerical integration techniques, power series expansions, and the use of special functions such as the Beta function. In some cases, the integral can also be evaluated using contour integration techniques from complex analysis.