Is the Gamma Function Equal to Its Simplified Form?

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the equation \Gamma\left(\frac{1}{2}-n\right) = \frac{(-1)^{n} 2^{n}}{(2n-1)!} \sqrt{\pi}, using induction and the identity \Gamma(x) \Gamma(1-x) = \pi / sin(pi *x). The conversation also suggests using a change of variable and the formula \Gamma(z+1)=z*gamma(z) to find the proof for the "sister" equality \Gamma\left(\frac{1}{2}+n\right) = \frac{(2n-1)!}{2^n}\, \sqrt{\pi}.
homad2000
Hello, I need help proving this:

[URL]http://mathworld.wolfram.com/images/equations/GammaFunction/Inline177.gif[/URL] = [URL]http://mathworld.wolfram.com/images/equations/GammaFunction/Inline179.gif[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to find gamma(1/2) easily enough. A change of variable makes the integral representation a gaussian. Now use gamma(z+1)=z*gamma(z) to find gamma(-1/2). Use that to find gamma(-3/2) etc. Use induction for the general case.

I'm so dumb, it can be proved by induction, of course.

[tex] \Gamma\left(\frac{1}{2}-n\right) = \frac{(-1)^{n} 2^{n}}{(2n-1)!} \sqrt{\pi} [/tex]

Induction says that, if, for a specific n, P(n) is true and you manage to show that P(n+1) is true as well, then P(n) is true for all n from N.

So

[tex] \Gamma\left(\frac{1}{2}-(n+1)\right) = \Gamma\left(\left(\frac{1}{2}-n\right) -1\right) = \frac{1}{\left(\frac{1}{2}-n\right)-1}}\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{2}-n\right) = \frac{(-1)\cdot 2}{(2n+1)} \Gamma\left(\frac{1}{2}-n\right) [/tex]

Now plug what it's in the hypothesis, and you'll get your answer.

Now use what I wrote to get a proof of your own for the "sister" equality

[tex] \Gamma\left(\frac{1}{2}+n\right) = \frac{(2n-1)!}{2^n}\, \sqrt{\pi} [/tex]

brilliant! i haven't thought of induction! but i solved it using another identity:

%20formula%20}\operatorname{\Gamma}(\alpha)\operatorname{\Gamma}(1-\alpha)=\pi\,\csc\,\pi\alpha..gif

Attachments

• %20formula%20}\operatorname{\Gamma}(\alpha)\operatorname{\Gamma}(1-\alpha)=\pi\,\csc\,\pi\alpha..gif
    %20formula%20}\operatorname{\Gamma}(\alpha)\operatorname{\Gamma}(1-\alpha)=\pi\,\csc\,\pi\alpha..gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 380
You wrote something that came out red as an error message. You can write it with our LaTeX code, or you may put a screenshot of your work.

using the identity:[tex]\Gamma[/tex](x) [tex]\Gamma[/tex](1-x) = [tex]\pi[/tex] / sin(pi *x)

Yes, it's obviously easier that way.

1. What is the Gamma Function?

The Gamma Function is a mathematical function that is used to extend the factorial function to real and complex numbers.

2. How is the Gamma Function used in proving?

The Gamma Function is often used in proving mathematical identities and solving integrals involving exponential functions.

3. What are the properties of the Gamma Function?

The Gamma Function has several important properties, including being continuous, logarithmically convex, and satisfying the functional equation Γ(z+1) = zΓ(z).

4. What is the relationship between the Gamma Function and the factorial function?

The Gamma Function is an extension of the factorial function, as it can be used to evaluate factorials for non-integer values.

5. How is the Gamma Function defined?

The Gamma Function is defined as Γ(z) = ∫0 xz-1e-xdx for all complex numbers z with positive real part.