1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gamma Function & Strong Force

1. Aug 23, 2008 #1
    I Heard That the gamma function explains the strong nuclear force .
    [tex]\Gamma \left( z \right) = \int\limits_0^\infty {t^{z - 1} } e^{ - t} dt[/tex]
    How does it explain the Force?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't think any mathematical function can "explain" any physical phenomenon. It may model it, or represent it, or be useful in calculations, but it can't explain anything - at best it can be used in an explanation.

4. Aug 23, 2008 #3
    I think this is a vast understatement of the Veneziano amplitudes, which were used to explain Regge Trajectories and involved (dare I use the pun -- entangled?) with the Strong Force...or more precisely, "gluon fluxtubes" (a sort of proto-string object).

It's fascinating stuff, so I'll give you some review papers to gaze upon:

New Strings for Old Veneziano Amplitudes I.Analytical Treatment arXiv:hep-th/0410242

New strings for old Veneziano amplitudes II. Group-theoretic treatment arXiv:hep-th/0411241

New Strings for Old Veneziano Amplitudes III. Symplectic Treatment arXiv:hep-th/0502231

New strings for old Veneziano amplitudes IV.Connections with spin chains and other stochastic systems arXiv:0805.0113

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?