Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gamma Function & Strong Force

1. Aug 23, 2008 #1
    I Heard That the gamma function explains the strong nuclear force .
    [tex]\Gamma \left( z \right) = \int\limits_0^\infty {t^{z - 1} } e^{ - t} dt[/tex]
    How does it explain the Force?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

I don't think any mathematical function can "explain" any physical phenomenon. It may model it, or represent it, or be useful in calculations, but it can't explain anything - at best it can be used in an explanation.
  4. Aug 23, 2008 #3
    I think this is a vast understatement of the Veneziano amplitudes, which were used to explain Regge Trajectories and involved (dare I use the pun -- entangled?) with the Strong Force...or more precisely, "gluon fluxtubes" (a sort of proto-string object).

It's fascinating stuff, so I'll give you some review papers to gaze upon:

New Strings for Old Veneziano Amplitudes I.Analytical Treatment arXiv:hep-th/0410242

New strings for old Veneziano amplitudes II. Group-theoretic treatment arXiv:hep-th/0411241

New Strings for Old Veneziano Amplitudes III. Symplectic Treatment arXiv:hep-th/0502231

New strings for old Veneziano amplitudes IV.Connections with spin chains and other stochastic systems arXiv:0805.0113
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?