Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gamma function

1. Sep 3, 2007 #1
    Can Gamma(i) be expressed in terms of elementary functions? I know Mod(Gamma(i)) can.
    Bob.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Sep 17, 2007 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gamma(n+1)=n! Is this elementary enough?

Obviously it is useful only for integers.

5. Sep 17, 2007 #4
    mathman, I was asking about Gamma(i), where i is the imaginary unit, not an integer.
    Bob

6. Sep 18, 2007 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Minor quibble - you should have said so in the first place. i (unfortunately) has multiple uses as a symbol. sqrt(-1) or simply an index are two examples.

7. Sep 19, 2007 #6
    Do you consider an integral to be an elementary function?

Da Jeans

8. Sep 19, 2007 #7
    I'm using the term "Elementary Function" in the technical sense. It's not what I
    consider it to mean - the term is well-defined (see wikipedia) and is agreed on by
    (almost) all mathematians.
    I don't understand your question about an integral.
    Thanks for responding, though!
    Bob

9. Dec 10, 2007 #8
    Gamma(i)

OK, now that you know what I meant, do you have an answer? Or don't you know
    what I mean by "elementary function" ?

Bob

10. Dec 11, 2007 #9

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have an answer, in the Wikipedia link I posted.

11. Dec 13, 2007 #10
    I think the OP wants to know if there's a known closed form for [tex]\Gamma(i)[/tex], meaning (presumably) a finite combination of elementary functions and algebraic numbers. (So no infinite products, no integrals, and no "So-and-so's constant".)

The answer: I have no idea. My guess is that if there even is one, it would be pretty hard to find.

12. Dec 13, 2007 #11

Gib Z

Homework Helper

13. Dec 14, 2007 #12

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Seems unlikely, since the evaluation of [itex]|\Gamma(i)|^2=\Gamma(i)\Gamma(-i)[/itex] relies on the standard identity [itex]\Gamma(x)\Gamma(-x)=-\pi/x\sin(\pi x)[/itex].

And, [itex]\Gamma(i)[/itex] is not listed here: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GammaFunction.html

14. Dec 14, 2007 #13

benorin

Homework Helper

I know it's not what you wanted, but the absolute value of the constant is here:

For [tex]y\in\mathbb{R},[/tex] we have

[tex]\left| \Gamma (iy)\right| = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{y\sinh \pi y}}[/tex]​

this follows from mirror symmetry, i.e. [tex]\Gamma (\overline{z}) = \overline{\Gamma (z)}[/tex], and from the formula [tex]\Gamma (z)\Gamma (-z)=-\frac{\pi }{z\sin \pi z}[/tex].

Hence we have that

[tex]\boxed{\left| \Gamma (i)\right| = \sqrt{\frac{2\pi}{e^{\pi} -e^{-\pi}}}}[/tex]​

You should look here for more info (functions.wolfram.com).

Also here.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?