1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gamma Function

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    1. Numerically approximate [tex]\Gamma(\frac{3}{2})[/tex]. Is it reasonable to define these as [tex](\frac{1}{2})[/tex]!?

2. Show in the sense of question 1. that [tex](\frac{1}{2})[/tex]! = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex] at least numerically.

How am i supposed to attempt this numerically? given that i do not know additional identities of the gamma function...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Hmm, seems like a poorly phrased question. The usual definition of the gamma function is

[tex]\Gamma(z)=\int_0^\infty dt\,t^{z-1}e^{-t}[/tex]

for [itex]\mathop{\rm Re}z>0[/itex]. Then it's pretty easy to show that [itex]\Gamma(n)=(n-1)![/itex] when [itex]n[/itex] is a positive integer. You could use this integral as a basis for numerical approximation, I suppose.

4. Nov 23, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The definition of the gamma function is given by an integral. What is it? You can numerically approximate an integral. I think that's what they are after.

5. Nov 23, 2008 #4
    okay, if i numerically approximate by plugging in 3/2 into the gamma function, i get infinity.

how am i supposed to use that information to arrive at the conclusion in #2?

6. Nov 23, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you don't get infinity. Tell us how you did.

7. Nov 23, 2008 #6
    O, im sorry. I did my math incorrectly...

after reworking the problem, using integration by parts,
    i'm stuck at
    (-t^(1/2))/(e^t)|[tex]^{infinity}_{0}tex]+(1/2) (original integral except t^-1/2)

after further integration, isn't it an endless cycle?

8. Nov 23, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you aren't going to get much of anywhere integrating by parts. I thought you wanted to make a numerical approximation. Don't you just want to approximate the integral of t^(1/2)*exp(-t) from 0 to infinity?

9. Nov 23, 2008 #8
    would that be a basic fnInt(y,x,0,99) command on the calc?

10. Nov 24, 2008 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What function you use on a calculator depends on the calculator!

Are you required to do this using a specific calculator?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?