Approximating Gamma Function: Numerically Calculate \(\frac{3}{2}\)

In summary, the conversation discusses the numerical approximation of the gamma function and its definition as an integral. The conversation also mentions using integration by parts and a calculator to approximate the integral. However, it may not be a reliable method and other approaches may be needed.
twalker40
1. Numerically approximate [tex]\Gamma(\frac{3}{2})[/tex]. Is it reasonable to define these as [tex](\frac{1}{2})[/tex]!?

2. Show in the sense of question 1. that [tex](\frac{1}{2})[/tex]! = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex] at least numerically.

How am i supposed to attempt this numerically? given that i do not know additional identities of the gamma function...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, seems like a poorly phrased question. The usual definition of the gamma function is

[tex]\Gamma(z)=\int_0^\infty dt\,t^{z-1}e^{-t}[/tex]

for [itex]\mathop{\rm Re}z>0[/itex]. Then it's pretty easy to show that [itex]\Gamma(n)=(n-1)![/itex] when [itex]n[/itex] is a positive integer. You could use this integral as a basis for numerical approximation, I suppose.

The definition of the gamma function is given by an integral. What is it? You can numerically approximate an integral. I think that's what they are after.

Dick said:
The definition of the gamma function is given by an integral. What is it? You can numerically approximate an integral. I think that's what they are after.

okay, if i numerically approximate by plugging in 3/2 into the gamma function, i get infinity.

how am i supposed to use that information to arrive at the conclusion in #2?

No, you don't get infinity. Tell us how you did.

O, I am sorry. I did my math incorrectly...

after reworking the problem, using integration by parts,
i'm stuck at
(-t^(1/2))/(e^t)|[tex]^{infinity}_{0}tex]+(1/2) (original integral except t^-1/2)

after further integration, isn't it an endless cycle?

No, you aren't going to get much of anywhere integrating by parts. I thought you wanted to make a numerical approximation. Don't you just want to approximate the integral of t^(1/2)*exp(-t) from 0 to infinity?

would that be a basic fnInt(y,x,0,99) command on the calc?

What function you use on a calculator depends on the calculator!

Are you required to do this using a specific calculator?

1. What is the Gamma function and why is it important?

The Gamma function is a mathematical function that is used to extend the factorial function to non-integer values. It is important in many areas of mathematics, including probability, statistics, and complex analysis.

2. How is the Gamma function approximated numerically?

There are several methods for approximating the Gamma function numerically, including the Lanczos approximation, the Stirling's formula, and the Spouge's approximation. These methods involve using series expansions and other mathematical techniques to arrive at an approximation.

3. Why would someone want to approximate the Gamma function?

The Gamma function can be difficult to calculate exactly, especially for non-integer values. Approximating the Gamma function allows for faster and more efficient calculations, making it useful in applications where speed and accuracy are important.

4. How accurate are numerical approximations of the Gamma function?

The accuracy of numerical approximations of the Gamma function depends on the method used and the number of terms used in the approximation. Generally, the accuracy increases as more terms are used, but there may also be trade-offs with computation time.

5. Are there any limitations to numerical approximations of the Gamma function?

Yes, there are limitations to numerical approximations of the Gamma function. These approximations may not be accurate for very large or very small values, and may also be affected by rounding errors in the calculations. Additionally, different methods may have different limitations and may be more suitable for certain ranges of values.