Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Gamma Function

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    1. Numerically approximate [tex]\Gamma(\frac{3}{2})[/tex]. Is it reasonable to define these as [tex](\frac{1}{2})[/tex]!?

2. Show in the sense of question 1. that [tex](\frac{1}{2})[/tex]! = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex] at least numerically.

How am i supposed to attempt this numerically? given that i do not know additional identities of the gamma function...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Hmm, seems like a poorly phrased question. The usual definition of the gamma function is

[tex]\Gamma(z)=\int_0^\infty dt\,t^{z-1}e^{-t}[/tex]

for [itex]\mathop{\rm Re}z>0[/itex]. Then it's pretty easy to show that [itex]\Gamma(n)=(n-1)![/itex] when [itex]n[/itex] is a positive integer. You could use this integral as a basis for numerical approximation, I suppose.

4. Nov 23, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The definition of the gamma function is given by an integral. What is it? You can numerically approximate an integral. I think that's what they are after.

5. Nov 23, 2008 #4
    okay, if i numerically approximate by plugging in 3/2 into the gamma function, i get infinity.

how am i supposed to use that information to arrive at the conclusion in #2?

6. Nov 23, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you don't get infinity. Tell us how you did.

7. Nov 23, 2008 #6
    O, im sorry. I did my math incorrectly...

after reworking the problem, using integration by parts,
    i'm stuck at
    (-t^(1/2))/(e^t)|[tex]^{infinity}_{0}tex]+(1/2) (original integral except t^-1/2)

after further integration, isn't it an endless cycle?

8. Nov 23, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you aren't going to get much of anywhere integrating by parts. I thought you wanted to make a numerical approximation. Don't you just want to approximate the integral of t^(1/2)*exp(-t) from 0 to infinity?

9. Nov 23, 2008 #8
    would that be a basic fnInt(y,x,0,99) command on the calc?

10. Nov 24, 2008 #9

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

What function you use on a calculator depends on the calculator!

Are you required to do this using a specific calculator?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook