Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Gamma Function

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    I am wondering how the following statement holds true:

[tex]\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)=\int_0^{\infty}e^{-x}x^{-\frac{1}{2}}\,dx=\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

I know how to show that:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}e^{-x^2}\,dx=\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}[/tex]

But I can't seem to apply that method (converting to a double-integral) to the gamma function. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]\int_0^{+\infty} e^{-x^2} \, dx[/tex]

and

[tex]\int_0^{+\infty} e^{-x} x^{1/2} \, dx[/tex]

look a lot different... after all, one has [itex]-x^2[/itex] in the exponent, and the other has [itex]-x[/itex]...

4. Oct 30, 2005 #3
    Yeah, I just figured that since the results look similar, there may be a way to rearrange that gamma function to make it look like the other. --I guess not.

Would you suggest integration by parts to solve this? That is the only way I can think of, but it doesn't seem too promising because I can't get rid of that fractional exponent. Is there some sort of trick to this?

Thanks again.

5. Oct 30, 2005 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never said you couldn't. :tongue: My post was a hint!

6. Oct 30, 2005 #5

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One method is to use Laplace Transforms:
    First calculate:
    [tex]\Gamma(x+1)=\int_0^{\infty}e^{-\beta}\beta^{x}d\beta[/tex]
    let:
    [tex]\beta=st[/tex]
    [tex]\Gamma(x+1)=s^{x+1}\int_0^{\infty}e^{-st}t^x dt[/tex]
    rearrange, equate to the Laplace transform of [itex]t^{x}[/itex] and then let x=-1/2. Can you finish it?
    Also, shouldn't your integral have [itex]x^{-1/2}[/itex]?

7. Oct 30, 2005 #6

benorin

Homework Helper

yep

Yes, it should, for [itex]\Gamma(z)=\int_{t=0}^{\infty}e^{-t}t^{z-1}dt[/itex] for [itex]z\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] such that [itex]\Re(z)>0[/itex].
    Hence [itex]\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)=\int_{t=0}^{\infty}e^{-t}t^{-\frac{1}{2}}dt[/itex], apply the substitution [itex]x=\sqrt t \Rightarrow dx=\frac{1}{2}t^{-\frac{1}{2}}dt[/itex] to get
    [itex]\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)=2\int_{t=0}^{\infty}e^{-x^{2}}dx = \sqrt\pi[/itex]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  8. Oct 30, 2005 #7
    Thanks a lot everyone for the help. I like that last substitution to change it into the form I am familiar with. Thank you :smile:

9. Oct 31, 2005 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you understand why he thought to use that substitution in the first place? (Hint: my hint is why, though he probably knew it without my hint) Will you think to look at that next time you get stuck on an integral?

10. Oct 31, 2005 #9
    Yes, thank you both very much.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook