1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gamma Function

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    I am wondering how the following statement holds true:

[tex]\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)=\int_0^{\infty}e^{-x}x^{-\frac{1}{2}}\,dx=\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

I know how to show that:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}e^{-x^2}\,dx=\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}[/tex]

But I can't seem to apply that method (converting to a double-integral) to the gamma function. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]\int_0^{+\infty} e^{-x^2} \, dx[/tex]

and

[tex]\int_0^{+\infty} e^{-x} x^{1/2} \, dx[/tex]

look a lot different... after all, one has [itex]-x^2[/itex] in the exponent, and the other has [itex]-x[/itex]...

4. Oct 30, 2005 #3
    Yeah, I just figured that since the results look similar, there may be a way to rearrange that gamma function to make it look like the other. --I guess not.

Would you suggest integration by parts to solve this? That is the only way I can think of, but it doesn't seem too promising because I can't get rid of that fractional exponent. Is there some sort of trick to this?

Thanks again.

5. Oct 30, 2005 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never said you couldn't. :tongue: My post was a hint!

6. Oct 30, 2005 #5

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One method is to use Laplace Transforms:
    First calculate:
    [tex]\Gamma(x+1)=\int_0^{\infty}e^{-\beta}\beta^{x}d\beta[/tex]
    let:
    [tex]\beta=st[/tex]
    [tex]\Gamma(x+1)=s^{x+1}\int_0^{\infty}e^{-st}t^x dt[/tex]
    rearrange, equate to the Laplace transform of [itex]t^{x}[/itex] and then let x=-1/2. Can you finish it?
    Also, shouldn't your integral have [itex]x^{-1/2}[/itex]?

7. Oct 30, 2005 #6

benorin

Homework Helper

yep

Yes, it should, for [itex]\Gamma(z)=\int_{t=0}^{\infty}e^{-t}t^{z-1}dt[/itex] for [itex]z\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] such that [itex]\Re(z)>0[/itex].
    Hence [itex]\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)=\int_{t=0}^{\infty}e^{-t}t^{-\frac{1}{2}}dt[/itex], apply the substitution [itex]x=\sqrt t \Rightarrow dx=\frac{1}{2}t^{-\frac{1}{2}}dt[/itex] to get
    [itex]\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)=2\int_{t=0}^{\infty}e^{-x^{2}}dx = \sqrt\pi[/itex]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  8. Oct 30, 2005 #7
    Thanks a lot everyone for the help. I like that last substitution to change it into the form I am familiar with. Thank you :smile:

9. Oct 31, 2005 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you understand why he thought to use that substitution in the first place? (Hint: my hint is why, though he probably knew it without my hint) Will you think to look at that next time you get stuck on an integral?

10. Oct 31, 2005 #9
    Yes, thank you both very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?