Solving the Equation for Trace: Gamma Matrices Explained

In summary, the equation is trying to solve for the trace of a function, but it's index is invalid according to the rules of the Einstein summation convention, so the term has to be evaluated or simplified. However, if this notation is not immediately clear to the reader, they should brush up on their mathematics before trying to study spinors and Dirac matrices.
Fr34k

Homework Statement

Solve the equation. What is it's trace?

Homework Equations

[STRIKE]k[/STRIKE] γμ γ5 [STRIKE]o[/STRIKE] γ[itex]\nu[/itex] γ5

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think this is reduced enough.
γμkμγ5γ[itex]\nu[/itex]o[itex]\nu[/itex]γ[itex]\nu[/itex]γ5

trace: just got rid of gamma5 with anticommutation.
-Tr[γμkμγ[itex]\nu[/itex]o[itex]\nu[/itex]γ[itex]\nu[/itex]]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fr34k said:

Homework Statement

Solve the equation. What is it's trace?

Homework Equations

[STRIKE]k[/STRIKE] γμ γ5 [STRIKE]o[/STRIKE] γ[itex]\nu[/itex] γ5

You haven't posted an equation, you've posted an expression. You can't solve an expression.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think this is reduced enough.
γμkμγ5γ[itex]\nu[/itex]o[itex]\nu[/itex]γ[itex]\nu[/itex]γ5

I see the same index, [itex]\nu[/itex], 3 times in this term, so it is not valid according to the rules of the Einstein summation convention.

My bad, you re right it is an expression. I should have said evaluate the expression or simplify or something similar.

As for index [itex]\nu[/itex]. Doesn't [STRIKE]o[/STRIKE] =γ[itex]\nu[/itex]o?
Would really appreciate some help here.

Fr34k said:
My bad, you re right it is an expression. I should have said evaluate the expression or simplify or something similar.

So the problem is to simplify the expression [strike]k[/strike] γμ γ5 [strike]o[/strike] γν γ5, and then find the trace? If so, are you given a particular space-time and metric (or Lagrangian)? Are [itex]k_{\nu}[/itex] and [itex]o_{\nu}[/itex] arbitrary vectors, or do they have some meaning here?

As for index [itex]\nu[/itex]. Doesn't [STRIKE]o[/STRIKE] =γ[itex]\nu[/itex]o?
Would really appreciate some help here.

Do you mean [itex]{\not}{o}=\gamma^{\nu}o_{\nu}[/itex], where [itex]o_{\nu}[/itex] is some covariant vector in your spacetime? If so, then realize that there is an implied summation over the index [itex]\nu[/itex] in the term [itex]\gamma^{\nu}o_{\nu}[/itex], according to the Einstein summation convention. This makes the [itex]\nu[/itex] in this term a so-called "dummy" index which can be replaced with any other Greek index.

When you have something like [itex]{\not}{k}{\not}{o}[/itex] and you want to write it in terms of the Dirac matrices and the covariant vectors, according to the Einstein summation convention, you should use a different index for each implied sum, so that it is clear which terms belong to which summation. For example, [itex]{\not}{k}{\not}{o}=\gamma^{\nu}k_{\nu}\gamma^{\nu}o_{\nu}[/itex] is meaningless and incorrect, but [itex]{\not}{k}{\not}{o}=\gamma^{\mu}k_{\mu}\gamma^{\nu}o_{\nu}[/itex] is correct and consistent with the Einstein summation convention. Likewise, you wouldn't write [itex]\gamma_{\nu}{\not}{k}=\gamma_{\nu} \gamma^{\nu} k_{\nu}[/itex], but rather you would use a dummy index that is not already used in the term like [itex]\mu[/itex], and write [itex]\gamma_{\nu}{\not}{k}=\gamma_{\nu} \gamma^{\mu} k_{\mu}[/itex]

Now, that said, if this sort of index notation is not immediately clear to you, you should almost certainly brush up on your mathematics before trying to study spinors and Dirac matrices.

Last edited:
kγ and oν are just arbitrary vectors.

I think I kinda get this notation now.

As for mathematics behind I couldn't agree more. The problem is we (the students) first saw this kind of notation when actually studying scattering of Dirac particles and didn't really get much (or any) of the math behind it.

But thank you for clearing things out a bit.

What are gamma matrices?

Gamma matrices are a set of matrices used in the mathematical representation of the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of fermions in quantum mechanics. They are also used in the study of spinors and quantum field theory.

How many gamma matrices are there?

There are a total of 4 gamma matrices, denoted by the Greek letter gamma (γ). They are γ0, γ1, γ2, and γ3.

What are the properties of gamma matrices?

Gamma matrices are complex, Hermitian, and traceless. They also satisfy the anticommutation relations, which are important in the derivation of the Dirac equation.

What is the role of gamma matrices in the Dirac equation?

The gamma matrices represent the spin of a particle in the Dirac equation. They are used to construct the Dirac spinor, which describes the quantum state of a fermion.

How are gamma matrices used in physics?

Gamma matrices are used in many areas of theoretical physics, including quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, and particle physics. They are also used in the study of spinors and representations of symmetries in physics.