Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gamma of negative integers

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1

I know the Gamma function has a first order pole at the negative integers, and the residue at -k is (-1)^k/k!

So now I want to compute Gamma(-k)/Gamma(-l) , k and l positive integers, and I have a feeling it should be [ (-1)^k/k! ] / [ (-1)^l/l! ] =(-1)^{k+l} l!/k!

What would be an easy way to prove that...?

I thought about considering Gamma(x)/Gamma(x-l+k) and then doing a Laurent expansion of the numerator and denominator around x=-k

This would be

However this doesnt seem to make much sense being divergent for x->-k ...
    Any tips?:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Having said that neither [itex]\Gamma(-l)[/itex], not [itex]\Gamma(-k)[/itex] exist, you have already said that [itex]\Gamma(-l)/\Gamma(-k)[/itex] does not exist. Apparently you really mean [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow -l}\Gamma(x)/\Gamma(x+l-k)[/itex]. If that limit existed, then Gamma would be analytic over all real numbers, and it is not.
  4. Jan 22, 2008 #3
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I mean the limit, of course:wink:

How does the existence of this limit imply analyticity of Gamma over the real numbers?

Isn't it true that if g und f have first order poles at k, then [tex]\lim_{x
    \to k}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=

I am not yet convinced ..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?