Why is non-collinear momentum not considered in this analysis?

In summary, the minimum photon energy required to dissociate a proton and neutron is 2.22 MeV. This is because more than just energy is needed to achieve the desired result; momentum is also conserved.
matt222

Homework Statement

A Gamma photon is used in order to dissociate deuterium into a proton and neutron. the binding energy is 2.22Mev anf the rest energies for the proton and neutron are 938Mev and 939Mev respectively. determine the minmum photon energy to achieve this. consider two cases:
1- both proton and neutron acquire collinear equal velocities parallel to the photon momentum
2-the neutron stays staionary after the collission
3- why non-collinear not considered in this analysis

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my answer for 1:

Binding energy= (total number of proton and neutron)- minimum photon energy

2.22=939+938-E(MINIMUM)

E(MINIMUM)=1874.78Mev

for part 2:

since the neutron is stationary so this mean we have a zero energy for neutron and we will left only with proton energy and the minimum photon energy in this case would be:

E(MINIMUM)=939-2.22=936.78Mev

for part 3:

for non-collinear this is because the momentum is not conserved

Physics news on Phys.org
no one have an idea for my Q if i am on the wr8 track o not

59 viewers no one can help me

Hi matt222,

I believe the binding energy is equal to the difference in rest mass between the combined proton+neutron and the separated proton and neutron. An energy of 2.22 MeV is required to separate the proton and neutron. If the energy added were exactly equal to the binding energy, then the proton and neutron would end up with zero kinetic energy.

However, in this case, with a high energy photon causing the separation, more than just energy needs to be conserved. What does that mean the minimum photon energy needs to be?

binding energy can also be the minimum energy required to decompose a molecule, an atom, or a nucleus into its components. So I agree with alphysicist.

matt222,

For your answer to part 3: Could you explain your reasoning more fully? What leads you to that conclusion?

1. What is gamma photon momentum?

Gamma photon momentum is the measure of the motion of a gamma photon, which is a type of electromagnetic radiation. It is a combination of its frequency and wavelength, and is typically measured in units of kilograms per meter per second (kg*m/s).

2. How is gamma photon momentum related to energy?

According to Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2, energy and mass are equivalent. This means that gamma photons, which have no mass, still have energy and momentum. The momentum of a gamma photon is directly proportional to its energy, with the speed of light (c) acting as a conversion factor.

3. Can gamma photons have different momenta?

Yes, gamma photons can have different momenta depending on their energy. Higher energy gamma photons have a larger momentum compared to lower energy ones.

4. How is gamma photon momentum detected and measured?

Gamma photon momentum is typically measured using specialized instruments such as gamma ray detectors or spectrometers. These devices use principles of particle physics to detect and measure the energy and momentum of gamma photons.

5. What is the significance of gamma photon momentum in scientific research?

The study of gamma photon momentum is important in various fields of science, including astrophysics, nuclear physics, and medical imaging. It allows researchers to better understand the behavior of gamma photons, which are produced in a wide range of natural and man-made processes.