Gamma-Ray Attenuation in Matter

In summary, the student is trying to solve for the cross section of a gamma ray energy using Europium as the element and an energy peak of 244.7 keV. They have determined the mass attenuation coefficient to be 8*10^-5 m^2/kg from the slope of the graph. The equation they are using is σ=(μ*A) / N, where A is the molar mass of the element, μ is the mass attenuation, N is Avogadro's number, and σ is the cross section. The student is questioning the small size of the solution and suggests that the equation may need to involve the energy peak. Additional guidance is requested.
Lane Dillon

Homework Statement

Hi, I am trying to solve for the cross section for a gamma ray energy. The element I am using is Europium and the energy peak is 244.7 keV. From the slope of the graph I was able to determine the mass attenuation coefficient to be 8*10^-5 m^2/kg

Homework Equations

σ=(μ*A) / N

A- molar mass of the element
μ- mass attenuation
N- Avogadro's number
σ- cross section

The Attempt at a Solution

σ= ((8*10^-5)(63)) / (6.023*10^23)The solution to this seems very small.. I think that the equation that I am using should involve the energy peak... Any thoughts?? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your units.

What do you mean by "very small"? Compare it to the typical size of a nucleus.

1. What is gamma-ray attenuation in matter?

Gamma-ray attenuation in matter refers to the process in which gamma rays, a type of electromagnetic radiation, lose energy as they pass through matter. This can occur through a variety of mechanisms, including scattering, absorption, and pair production.

2. How does the thickness of a material affect gamma-ray attenuation?

The thicker a material is, the more likely it is to attenuate gamma rays. This is because as gamma rays travel through a material, they have a higher chance of interacting with atoms and losing energy. As the material gets thicker, the likelihood of an interaction increases, resulting in greater attenuation.

3. What factors affect the attenuation coefficient of a material?

The attenuation coefficient of a material is affected by several factors, including the density and atomic number of the material, as well as the energy of the gamma rays. Materials with higher densities and atomic numbers tend to have higher attenuation coefficients, while lower-energy gamma rays are more easily attenuated.

4. How is gamma-ray attenuation measured?

Gamma-ray attenuation is typically measured using a device called a gamma-ray spectrometer, which detects and measures the energy of gamma rays that have passed through a material. The attenuation coefficient can then be calculated based on the difference in energy of the incoming and outgoing gamma rays.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding gamma-ray attenuation in matter?

Understanding gamma-ray attenuation in matter is important in a variety of fields, including medical imaging, nuclear power, and materials testing. It can also be used in security screening, such as in airport scanners, to detect potentially harmful materials. Additionally, studying the attenuation of gamma rays can provide valuable information about the composition and properties of different materials.