What is the energy comparison between a gamma ray burst and vaporizing the sun?

In summary, the conversation discusses a back-of-the-envelope calculation of the energy released by a gamma ray burst and how it compares to the energy released by vaporizing the sun. It then goes on to discuss how far away one would have to be from the gamma ray burst for its average power to be equivalent to the sun's radiation at Earth. The conversation also includes a clarification on using the equation E=mc^2 and calculating the distance using the intensity of the light from the star.
hobobobo

Homework Statement

a) A back-of-the-envelope calculation shows that in about 120 seconds the gamma ray burst released a total energy of about
10^48 Joule. How does this compare to the total energy that would be released by instantly vaporizing our sun into pure energy?
(The sun's mass is about 3x10^30 kg).

b) How far away would one have to be from the gamma ray burst in order
for the average power from it (over the first 120 seconds) to be equivalent to the average power from the sun's radiation at the
earth (a quantity known as the solar constant, and which has a numerical value of about 1300 Wattëm2). Give your answer in
light years.

Ok I thought about this question and since they gave us the mass of the sun, so I was wondering if I can find E from E=mc^2. Sorry my math and physics skills are not that great. Thanx!^^

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you find it from E=mc^2.

So how would I approach part b then?

You know that the intensity of the sun's light is 1300 W/m^2. I = P / (4pi r^2).

You want the intensity of the light of the GRB to be the same.

So do I sub in 1300 into I to find P? I don't really understand how to approach this question.

You want the star's intensity at the surface of the Earth to be 1300 W/m^2. You know the power of the star, you want to calculate how far it would have to be so that its intensity is 1300 W/m^2.

ok so I get it now. we want the intensity to be on the surface of Earth and the equation you showed me will that find it?

No, we don't want the intensity, we want r. We're given intensity.

oh I see sorry about all this I never seen that equation before. One last thing what does the capital P stand for and it says to give answer in light years

nvm lol I got it

What causes a Gamma Ray burst?

A Gamma Ray burst is caused by a massive explosion in outer space, usually from the collapse of a massive star or the merger of two neutron stars.

How long do Gamma Ray bursts last?

Gamma Ray bursts can last anywhere from a fraction of a second to several minutes. However, the afterglow of the burst can last for days, weeks, or even months.

What is the impact of a Gamma Ray burst on Earth?

Gamma Ray bursts are typically too far away from Earth to have a direct impact. However, if a burst occurred close enough, it could potentially cause damage to the Earth's ozone layer and disrupt electronic systems.

Can we predict when a Gamma Ray burst will occur?

Currently, we do not have the technology to predict when a Gamma Ray burst will occur. However, satellites and telescopes are constantly monitoring for bursts and can detect them within seconds of their occurrence.

How do scientists study Gamma Ray bursts?

Scientists study Gamma Ray bursts through various telescopes and satellites equipped with detectors designed to capture and analyze the radiation emitted during a burst. They also use computer simulations and models to better understand the mechanisms behind the bursts.