1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gamma ray experiment

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In my honours lab we had to perform the Gamma ray experiment in which we have to measure the operating voltage of a Geiger Muller tube for a radio active source say Cs-137.

With this we want to measure the linear absorption coefficients of lead and aluminium. Test the 1/r2 dependance. We wanted to also perform computer analysis in which we did counts over certain intervals for a number of counts and of course measure the dead time of our Geiger tube.

When writing the report we have to discuss the history of this experiment and the theory it is based on. Unfortunately i'm not to sure on the theory behind it, when we're given the equipment and are told to figure it out ;(

I'm guessing this experiment is partially based on the Compton effect, because gamma rays that do not scatter in the right direction obviously will not reach the geiger tube.

Some insight would be great.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2
    When you say theory behind the experiment, you mean the exponential attenuation through the material, the 1/r2 dependence of the flux, the electronics of the GM tube, counting statistics, or what (or maybe all) - these are all different ideas.

4. Oct 10, 2011 #3
    mostly the exponential attenuation through the material, and why it occurs, I know how the geiger tube works, why the 1/r^2 dependance is.

5. Oct 11, 2011 #4
    Wikepedia has a good discussion of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer%E2%80%93Lambert_law" [Broken] which is the mathematical basis for attenuation.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Oct 11, 2011 #5
    thanks i'll look into it

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook