1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gamow Energy

1. Mar 19, 2008 #1
    Hi,

Can someone clarify for me the terms used in the Gamow energy equation. I know mr = reduced mass, c= speed of light etc, but what is puzzling me are the terms Za and Zb.

I thought that these were the charges (I have been asked to find the Gamow energy of two protons). My answer booklet gives these values as 1 but I can't see where they get this from.

Any help would be most appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2008 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Do you mean the following equation, which I got by Googling on "Gamow energy"?

[tex]E_G = \left( \pi \alpha Z_A Z_B \right)^2 2m_r c^2[/tex]

If so, according to these lecture notes, [itex]Z_A[/itex] and [itex]Z_B[/itex] are the numbers of protons in the two nuclei involved. Since in your case both A and B are single protons, clearly Z = 1 for both.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  4. Mar 19, 2008 #3
    Of course.... Z is the value for the atomic number which is the number of protons in a nucleus.... Sorry, missed that one! But thankyou.... it was the equation I was looking at

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?