1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gap Band

1. Apr 10, 2008 #1
    Glass is transparent to visibile light under normal conditions; however, at extremely high intensities, glass will absorb most of the light incident upon it. This works through a process known as multiphoton absorption. In this process, several photons are absorbed at the same time. If very intense light whose photons carry 2eV of energy is shined onto a material with a band gap of 4eV, that light can be absorbed through two-photon absorption, because two photons have the right amount of energy to bridge the band gap. What is the minimum number of photons of 800nm- light that are needed to equal or exceed the band gap of fused silica glass?

I tried Energy of photon= hc/[tex]\lambda[/tex]..... but then after that i dont know what to do. ... i know that energy is the J/ photon......... so i multiply it by the energy in the band.,.... but didnt get it!! anyone knows how to do it?!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2008 #2
    never mind i got it..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook