1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gap energy and changing diameters

1. Jan 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi,

I'm trying to show how the band gap energy changes with the radius as Part 2 of this questions asks us to find: http://screencast.com/t/N7R42aS4l [Broken]

The full solution is here: http://screencast.com/t/y1K3hqOus4H [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

See solution link above.

3. The attempt at a solution

This question should relatively straightforward and should just be a simple case of inputting the values into the equation given in the link above. I think we also need to pick a radius at set intervals (ie. 1,2,3,4.. nm) for use in the equation. The problem is that I always get 1.42 for my Eg(R) value. I tested my equation and this seems to be due to the value I get being so low that when I add the first term of Eg to it I always end up with that as my final answer.

Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks
    David

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You'll need to watch your units carefully. For example, can you show what you get for just the last term ##1.8e_o^2/(\epsilon R)## for ##R = 1## nm? This looks like a Coulomb energy term. In SI units the ##e_o^2## part would have an additional factor of Coulomb's constant ##k = 1/4\pi \epsilon_o##

4. Jan 6, 2013 #3
    Hi TSny,

For that last term I get [itex]\frac{1.8 * (1.602*10^-19)^2}{(12.9 * 1*10^-9)}[/itex]

= 3.58 *10-30 c2/nm

I'm not sure what you mean about an additional factor for Coulomb's constant?

Thanks!

5. Jan 6, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The Coulomb energy of two point charges ##e_o## is ##U = k \;e_o^2/R## where ##k ## is Coulomb's constant. Note that you are getting units of C2/nm which is not an energy unit. However, if you multiply by ##k##, you will get energy since ##k## has units of J m /C2 where J is Joules. You'll also need to convert over to eV.

6. Jan 6, 2013 #5
    Hi,

Thanks for that I think I understand the logic now, I re-did the equation and now have: http://screencast.com/t/yByLIrwdi9 [Broken]

The problem is that no matter what I change the radius to all the answers are always 1.41...J

Sorry for all the trouble!
    Thanks

7. Jan 6, 2013 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Almost there. For the last term where you included ##k = 1/(4 \pi \epsilon_o)##, you need to use ##\epsilon_o = 8.85 \times 10^{-12}## SI units. For the second term, you just need to convert from J to eV. You should then be able to express the result as ##E_G(R) = 1.42 + a/R^2-b/R## where ##a## and ##b## are numerical factors (roughly of the order of 1), E is in eV, and R is in nm.

8. Jan 6, 2013 #7
    Thanks! I think we might have it :)

My answer using a radius of 4 gives 1.8ev which from the graph in the answer looks about right?

A few quick questions:

How did you know how to convert the value of Eo to 8.85*10^-12?

If I had to draw a graph like this in an exam would I keep picking radii in increments of 1 until the graph levels out? How would I know what value to start with in this case?

My current working: http://screencast.com/t/oOKJqB6rmEdX [Broken]

9. Jan 6, 2013 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you have it. See if you can multiply out all your numbers and get

##E_G(R) = 1.42 + a/R^2-b/R##

where ##a## abd ##b## are fixed numbers of roughly the order of 1. Then you can easily evaluate the expression for different values of R (in nm).

Generally, you would probably want to choose values of R on the order of 1 nm. So, maybe R = 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 nm.

For ##\epsilon_0## see the value for permitivity of free space.

10. Jan 6, 2013 #9
    Thanks for all your help Tsny, I was going crazy trying to figure this out =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook