Should You List Education as a Job to Fill a Resume Gap?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of a gap in employment due to attending school and how it should be addressed on a resume. The main concern is whether to include the education section at the top of the resume, potentially taking away attention from previous job experience. It is suggested to either mention attending school in the employment section or to organize the resume in a way that highlights the most relevant information for the desired job. Overall, it is emphasized that honesty and clarity are key in addressing the employment gap.
oneamp
I went back to school and so I have a gap between now and my last job. It's a 3 year gap. Should I do anything about it, like put school as one of my 'jobs' in the list to close up that gap? I fear that putting school at the top of the resume will call attention away from my jobs that I worked before it and make me look like I'm new to the field.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you put information about your education somewhere in the resume, together with dates?

Borek said:
Don't you put information about your education somewhere in the resume, together with dates?

Yes. My concern is that the employment section is at the top, and the date gap is the first thing they see.

If I saw that, I would ask you about it in an interview. "I was attending school full-time" would be an adequate answer.

Just put it in chronological order and be honest about what you did and why

oneamp said:
Yes. My concern is that the employment section is at the top, and the date gap is the first thing they see.

Then don't put a gap in the employment section. Simply say from "X-X attended school at ..., details below in th Education section."

Maybe resumes don't need to be chronological? I know they often are (that's how I do mine, too), but it seems to me the resume could be organized differently -- say, to show the things most important for the job you're trying to get at the top. Just a thought, I'm no expert on resumes.

oneamp said:
Yeah, we'll see it. But as Ben Espen noted, we should also see that you went back to college, filling in that gap. It's not something to worry about.

If you worked while going to college on a job related to your career goal, you should have that in your resume (filling in the gap). But now when I get down to the education section I'll see that there is no gap in the employment section. Curious! I'm going ask you about that when I interview you.

If you worked part time on jobs completely unrelated to your career goal, a one liner that fills in the gap will suffice. There's no point in touting your experience as a short-order cook other than maybe a one-liner: "Miscellaneous jobs while going back to school." BTW, I'm still going to ask about that when I interview you.

Thank you

1. Why is having a gap in resume due to school a concern?

Employers may see a gap in your resume as a red flag because it could indicate a lack of commitment or a lack of relevant experience. They may also question your ability to keep up with industry developments during your time away from work.

2. How should I address a gap in my resume due to school?

You can address this gap by being honest and explaining the reason for it in your resume or cover letter. Emphasize the skills and knowledge you gained during your time in school that are relevant to the position you are applying for.

3. Is it necessary to include my education in my resume if I have a gap due to school?

Yes, it is important to include your education in your resume, especially if it is recent. Employers will want to see your academic qualifications and any relevant coursework or projects you completed during your time in school.

4. How can I make my gap in resume due to school appear more favorable?

One way to make your gap in resume appear more favorable is to highlight any volunteer work, internships, or relevant experiences you had during your time away from work. This shows that you were still actively developing your skills and gaining experience.

5. Will having a gap in my resume due to school affect my chances of getting hired?

Not necessarily. Employers understand that many individuals take breaks from their careers to further their education. As long as you can explain the reason for your gap and demonstrate that you have the necessary skills and qualifications for the job, it should not significantly impact your chances of getting hired.