1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gap year and practicing math

1. Nov 30, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I am currently in my senior year as an undergraduate and plan to apply to physics grad school in a year or two. I feel like taking some time off would help me become more focused and I don't have money to take the physics gre, or to apply for grad school. I also want to explore other options like engineering and teaching high school and need some time to think and explore. For example, tutoring high school might tell me if I'd like teaching high school and becoming a process engineer might tell me if I'd like a different field of engineering. My main issue is I'm afraid I'll forget all the math I learned if I take some time off. Should I practice doing physics problems? Has anyone here taken time off and can you give me advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I worked in industry for a year between undergrad and grad. I took night courses that year.

4. Nov 30, 2013 #3

IGU

Arnold's Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics is a classic that will keep your mind sharp on both the math and the physics if it's at the right level for you. Just one example though. There are many great books out there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook