1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gap year

1. Sep 19, 2005 #1
    Hey all,

I was wondering if it's wise to take a year off from University during undergraduacy (is that even a word?). I'm a freshman studying Mathematics, ComputerScience, Philosophy, Logic & Computation; and am finding it really hard to focus and stay concentrated. I've been thinking of taking a year off to go across Asia or something either in 2006 or 2007. I've done far too many maths papers this semester and have probably burnt out.

I'm scared of loosing all my skills from first/second year, is this likely?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2005 #2
    When contemplating on whether or not to take a year off from school, I like to think of myself as a product of momentum. For one, I know that if I stop school, it will be hard to get back into it. It does sound like you are burning out, but who wouldn't after a course load like yours. Perhaps you should take a load that you can handle better.
  4. Sep 19, 2005 #3
    Maybe try taking a semester to study abroad? Try taking classes that are out of your major area to get a bit of refreshment.
  5. Sep 19, 2005 #4
    Thanks for your replies, I'm trying to get into UC Berkeley to do ComputerScience for a semester or two in 06/07 possibly, and have started attending more Philosophy/Metaphysics classes to get some refreshment, and am thinking of taking up Italian or French next year. Study abroad is a really good idea though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?