Create Garage Door Remote w/ Scanner Tech

• Thread starter sine
  • Start date
In summary, a frequency scanner to open garage doors is just as illegal as making a pipe bomb. There is no way to scan through all the codes because it would take years to do that and reverse engineering is still pretty ambiguous on an academic level.
sine
I was wondering how I would go about creating a remote control, that works like a scanner but instead of receiving shoots out waves, like a garage door opener. I know not all garage door openers are the same frequency that's why I would like to make this contraption so that it would run through a series of channels, the end result being able to drive down the neighborhood and open everyone's garage doors, just a high school prank.

I owe this forum,
thanks for getting me through my classes.

SINE.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You honestly believe someone would risk the liability of involvement in a "prank" by telling you how to make a remote? Wow! While you're at it why not ask how to make a pipe bomb?

I was just curios and I don't see how you can compare a "pipe bomb" with a garage door opener. I posted this to see if anyone on here has thought of it, I know it's not a new theory or anything special that took much thought.

Sine

sine said:
I was just curios and I don't see how you can compare a "pipe bomb" with a garage door opener. I posted this to see if anyone on here has thought of it, I know it's not a new theory or anything special that took much thought.

Sine

It's the same because making a frequency scanner for the express purpose of opening a garage door on a house you do not own is just as illegal---at least the act of opening the doors is and in all reality, garage door frequency scanners probably run afoul for the DMCA because garage doors tend to use encoded signals now-a-days---as building a pipe bomb. Would you run down your block opening all of your neighbors front doors? Opening a garage door is the same as opening a front door.

In the old days, you could just use a ripple counter to drive the encoder. It worked slick, and was a nice tool for troubleshooting garage door openers.

Today, you would need the seed code and the encryption methods to do so. While possible, it would take some serious tweaking and reverse engineering to do so. Check out www.microchip.com and their keylock encryption for some ideas.

I believe that is Illegal

And here is why you won't be able to do it anyways

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/remote-entry2.htm

With trillions of possibilities, there is also no way to scan through all the codes because it would take years to do that.

Pengwuino said:
I believe that is Illegal

And here is why you won't be able to do it anyways

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/remote-entry2.htm

Not really, reverse engineering is still pretty ambiguous on an academic level, even within the confines of the DMCA (although personally if I were still in the security field, I would be very leery of publishing a journal article). In addition, the DMCA would most likely not be applicable to encryption in this field, as commercial gear uses public domain encoding, such that the security system would not be considered protected material. To some extent, their are laws that make it illegal to provide too much security in the commercial sector (eg dept of commerce export, combined with FCC regulations), thus making the task even easier.

To actually use the device to gain entry would be illegal without a court order or probable cause on the part of law enforcement. (Remember practical jokes gone wrong have landed many a person in jail). You certainly would not want to build such a device and play with it on your street to open other peoples doors. Otoh, the theory you learn in analyzing how such a device works, and designing one on paper is a great way to apply academic concepts to real world problems and in the process learn a great deal.

This is not unlike the days of my organic chem class where we discussed the synthesis of cocaine. No doubt every student had those equations memorized, but no one went so far as to set up a lab in the dorm room. Its pretty much ed psych 101 as a learning methodology to foster the higher levels of learning. I think students of today miss out on a lot due to political correctness. Discussing illegal drug production, or even the synthesis of C4 in an undergrad class would no doubt be beyond the comfort levels of most profs. Otoh, I am sure it is covered in some grad school courses

As far as breaking the code sequences, its challenging, but is no where near as time consuming as the marketing types would lend you to believe, A determined thief could do so, fortunately most of the time, criminals are not very smart, nor are they willing to put the time into such activities, when a vast majority of people disable their systems, or leave their doors open.

Ron

Sorry amuron, all I was mainly thinken about was the consequences of opening up another persons house. I'd assume its the equivalent of trespassing or a kind of breaking and entering.

Pengwuino said:
I'd assume its the equivalent of trespassing or a kind of breaking and entering.
I'm not sure about US laws, since it appears that you have a lot more latitude in this area, but simply having a device like that up here would constitute possession of burglar tools the same as if you had lock picks or a Slim Jim.

Its been quite a while, but I believe their are ten states or so that have laws against possesion of burglar tools, without a license and bonding, eg repair shops, law enforcement, lock smiths etc.

There are a lot of seedy engineering projects one could do, but outside of an academic interest, it is best to stay away.

Even possession of a transformer in TX is a violation, although its rarely enforced unless their is some extenuating circumstance... yet another reason engineers should try to be active in public policy.

Ron

amuron said:
Even possession of a transformer in TX is a violation
Say what! :bugeye:
What on Earth kind of transformer are you talking about?

Here you go, from the TX statutes definitions...
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/HS/content/htm/hs.006.00.000481.00.htm [Broken]

53) "Chemical laboratory apparatus" means any item of
equipment designed, made, or adapted to manufacture a controlled
substance or a controlled substance analogue, including:
(A) a condenser;
(B) a distilling apparatus;
(C) a vacuum drier;
(D) a three-neck or distilling flask;
(E) a tableting machine;
(F) an encapsulating machine;
(G) a filter, Buchner, or separatory funnel;
(H) an Erlenmeyer, two-neck, or single-neck
flask;
(I) a round-bottom, Florence, thermometer, or
filtering flask;
(J) a Soxhlet extractor;
(K) a transformer;
(L) a flask heater;
(M) a heating mantel; or
(N) an adaptor tube.

I am guessing that law enforcement looks at this from a standpoint of combination and in proximity with other drug related offenses, otherwise any high school, college lab, engineers home lab, or mad scientist would be in violation. Short of the encapsulating, or tableting machines, the rest of the list should not be there imho.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. I've never heard of a Soxhlet extractor; sounds like something a proctologist would use.

1. How does the scanner technology work in a garage door remote?

The scanner technology works by using radio frequency signals to communicate between the garage door remote and the garage door opener. The remote transmits a unique code to the opener, which then activates the door to open or close.

2. Can I program multiple garage door remotes with scanner technology?

Yes, you can program multiple remotes with scanner technology to work with the same garage door opener. However, it's important to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully to ensure proper programming.

3. What happens if I lose my garage door remote with scanner technology?

If you lose your remote, you can purchase a replacement from the manufacturer or a licensed dealer. You will need to program the new remote to work with your garage door opener using the steps provided in the manual.

4. Can I use a universal remote with scanner technology?

Yes, some universal remotes are compatible with garage door openers that use scanner technology. However, not all remotes will work with all openers, so it's important to check for compatibility before purchasing.

5. Is scanner technology more secure than traditional garage door remotes?

Yes, scanner technology is generally considered to be more secure than traditional remotes. This is because the unique code transmitted by the remote changes with each use, making it more difficult for thieves to copy the code and gain access to your garage.