Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Garage/yard sale finds

1. May 31, 2008 #1
    Garage/yard sale finds!!

Do you go garage sailing? Rummage at rummage sales? yard sales?

I just got five new sets of (full) sheets (three flannel sets) all with the pillow cases, six flannel shirts (five with the tags)---(I like flannel), a new coffee grinder in the box, and about twenty five assorted towels-some sets- (but I bought them and use them for cleaning, etc.) and a large vintage table cloth and matching napkins for ---drum roll, please-----

$26.40

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2008 #2
    Congrats on the bargain.... I guess you'll only have to do laundry four times a year now!

4. May 31, 2008 #3

turbo

Gold Member

There is a business locally that specializes in buying stuff from insurance claims. I have bought a really wonderful electric guitar (worth over $400 at least) for $100, a Gitzo tripod that sells for $400-500 for $75, and a wonderful front -surface silvered mirror from an otpometrist's office for $5.

5. May 31, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Second hand sheets :eek: *faints*

6. May 31, 2008 #5
    That's awesome, and for such a good deal.....amaizing

We are getting ready for yard sales, like next week. So excited, I get to get rid of all my junk and people think they are getting treasures, lol :smile: I have a few things I'm looking for too

7. May 31, 2008 #6
    brand new--

a really really old couple (about 50 to 55 y.o.)----they went from full to queen

8. May 31, 2008 #7
    :surprised:rofl: really, really old :rofl:

9. May 31, 2008 #8
    boy, that sounds great----I thought they did that only for telescopes---It must have a totally different look NOT having to be reflected through the glass twice ('It' -I mean the reflection)--I bet that puppy was expensive new.

10. Jun 1, 2008 #9
    I don't go to yard sales but occasionally I find interesting things left by the dumpsters at the apartment complexs I work at. My co-worker got in trouble for taking some chairs once though. Fortunately I just look at the novels and text books that people are throwing out.

11. Jun 28, 2008 #10
    Re: Garage/yard sale finds!!

I was going on a trip out of town and stopped at a garage sale. I picked this up for $6:

[​IMG]

The 'full' name for it is satin herringbone cased mother-of-pearl (mop) rainbow glass ewer. It was probably made by Mount Washington Glass Works 1885 to 1895.

The rainbow effect of putting the different colors (yellow, blue, pink) was extremely difficult. 'Cased' means it has layers of different colored glass, two in this one--the white inside and clear glass outside with a satin design.

At 10 1/2 inches its the largest piece of 'Rainbow Glass' I've seen. If it didn't have a little clink at the base/bottom, it may have been worth about $2k, at least,--oh well. It's still one of the nicest pieces of 'Art Glass' that I've found.

I was thinking, --you've never stayed in a motel or hotel?

12. Jun 28, 2008 #11

turbo

Gold Member

The build them that way for optometrists and ophthalmologists so that when you're looking at the mirror seeing a reflection of a chart, distortion is minimized. I used mine to build a nice accessory for my binoculars - a mount above (and slightly to the rear) of the mirror holds my binoculars so that I can sit comfortably at a picnic table and star-gaze while looking downward, like through a microscope. No more kinked neck when looking at objects high in the sky.

13. Jun 28, 2008 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't do garage sales. None that I stop at ever have anything that nice. It's usually pretty much the old junk you'd expect at a garage sale. I probably would completely overlook something valuable because most of that really valuable old stuff just looks like old lady junk to me.

14. Jun 28, 2008 #13

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why would I have ever done that? :confused:

15. Jun 28, 2008 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Some of the old glass (especially from Mount Washington and Sandwich glass works) is very valuable. Mount Washington's pieces are generally quite decorative and are more complex in implementation than Sandwich, which tends to be molded in colors (transparent red, blue, yellow, green, etc). Much of the Sandwich glass is clunky-looking with mold-marks etc, and you'd walk right by it - missing perhaps thousands of dollars in the process. My wife and I went to an antiques group-shop quite a few years back and I saw a tiny vase priced at $3. I picked it up and she asked why I wanted it - I said I'd tell her later. It was a hand-blown vase with an acid-etched surface. The color (top to bottom) went from clear to peach and back to peach, and the pontil (bottom surface) was un-polished. I showed it to a glass expert a few weeks later and he appraised it at $250-300. It is a high-quality piece and the modest price reflects the fact that the vase is unsigned.

16. Jun 28, 2008 #15

wolram

Gold Member

That vase reminds me of a triffid.

17. Jun 28, 2008 #16

I'm on the look out for guitars. I have guitars, ranging from ok to very good (my baby is a Gibson SG Faded), but there's always the chance that someone will sell a good one cheap because they don't know the value. For example, I know a guy who bought a very good bass guitar for cheap because one of the strings was broken and the people selling it didn't know you can replace them.

18. Jun 29, 2008 #17

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How could I find such a business in my area? Have any of you gone to an estate sale?

19. Jun 29, 2008 #18

turbo

Gold Member

You could do a search on the words "surplus" and/or "salvage" or perhaps contact a commercial insurer to see who they deal with when a store is damaged by flood or fire and they have to liquidate inventory after paying the claim.

20. Jun 29, 2008 #19

it depends on 'what' you're 'looking for' on where you should go---

House auctions, estate sales, garage sales, state surplus auctions, etc.

What are you looking for? (do you have a specialized area of interest?)

21. Jun 29, 2008 #20

~christina~

Gold Member

I don't even know what an estate sale is. I think it is when the people of the residence die and their stuff is carted off, by others for a fee of course.

I bought a book page holder for 50 cents. It was tarnished but after rubbing it with a cloth, I found that it was silver. It is quite weighty for it's size. I'll post a pic if I get the chance.

edit: I think I lost it/ it's somewhere around.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?