Gardening by the Moon: Fact or Fiction?

• Thread starter Helios
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of whether certain moon phases have an effect on the growth of plants. While some believe in the idea of planting crops based on moon phases, others are skeptical and do not understand how the moon could have an impact on plants. Some suggest that it could be related to the amount of light reflected by the moon and its effect on insects or human behavior. However, there is no scientific evidence to support this theory. The conversation ends with some suggestions for further research on the topic.
Helios
I've had it with so much "gardener's wisdom" that claims that certain moon phases are propitious for growing certain crops. I see statements like: "The first quarter moon is the ideal time to plant blackberries." or the like. This must be a crock. What does a plant care about the moon? Does anyone disagree? If so, please explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, technically, there is some light reflected by the moon. However, even on a full moon with now clouds, the total energy per unit area is insignificant compared to even a cloudy day.

I have no idea whether there is a correlation between moon phases and the growth behavior of plants. However sometimes such irrational beliefs are actually true, but the correlation is rarely due to direct causation. So we shouldn't be too quick to dismiss unfamiliar ideas (though ideally we should do some systematic data collection and then do statistic analysis on it), just as we shouldn't blindly accept them.

Some ideas:
Maybe the moon phase affects the gardener's mood and therefore his observation of the plants, and perhaps how he handles them. Maybe it affects the behavior of insects (due to increased light at night). Maybe it affects the social behavior of humans and therefore their car usage, which may affect the air near the plants.

I tried googling 'biological triggers in flora" and came up empty. What key words should I use?

Helios said:
What does a plant care about the moon?

Well, with a name like Helios, you're obviously biased! :wink:

(or is just because you have a squeaky voice? :biggrin:)​
Hi Helios! :smile:

I don't know whether any plant behaviour is affected by the moon, but I would expect it, on the following basis …

Plants are light-sensitive, so they certainly could behave differently on moonlit nights.

Also, there might be an advantage to being seen at night (so that night-creatures can distribute their seed), or a disadvantage (because night-creatures just destroy their seed).

(For some planting rules, without scientific explanation, see Keith Cooley's http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/moongrow.htm" :wink:)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Is there any scientific evidence to support the belief that gardening by the moon has an impact on plant growth?

No, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea that gardening by the moon has any effect on plant growth. This belief is based on folklore and tradition rather than scientific research.

2. What is the theory behind gardening by the moon?

The theory is that the moon's gravitational pull affects the moisture in the soil, causing it to rise and fall. This, in turn, affects the growth of plants and the success of gardening tasks such as planting, pruning, and harvesting.

3. Are there any potential benefits to gardening by the moon?

While there is no scientific evidence to support the effectiveness of gardening by the moon, some people believe that following this practice can help them stay organized and plan their gardening tasks more efficiently. It can also serve as a reminder to gardeners to pay attention to the lunar cycle and its potential impact on gardening activities.

4. Is there any harm in following the gardening by the moon method?

No, there is no harm in following this traditional gardening method. However, it is important to note that there is no scientific basis for its effectiveness. Gardeners should also keep in mind that their local climate and weather conditions have a much more significant impact on plant growth than the phase of the moon.

5. What are some practical tips for gardening by the moon?

If you choose to follow the gardening by the moon method, some practical tips include using a lunar calendar to track the moon's phases and planning your gardening tasks accordingly. It is also essential to consider your local climate and weather conditions and adjust your gardening schedule accordingly.