Compiling GARFIELD on Ubuntu 10.4

• Thread starter vanesch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ubuntu
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of compiling the gas detector software, GARFIELD, on Ubuntu 10.4. The use of gfortran instead of g77 compiler is causing difficulties and some suggest using an older OS or installing g77 as a solution. However, the provided link does not provide much information on the topic.
vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Has anybody succeeded in compiling the gas detector software GARFIELD on ubuntu (lucid lynx 10.4) ?

I've been struggling for more than a week now, and didn't get it up and running - mainly due to the gfortran instead of g77 compiler (I think).

Physics news on Phys.org
http://0x5f.blogspot.com/2009/10/install-g77-in-ubuntu-904-jaunty.html

Something like above might help... haven't tried on ubuntu, but we've been having to install g77 on some of our machines. The whole gfortran g77 thing has been a head ache for a lot of the older code...

The obvious fall back is to use an older OS that still has g77 (could go virtual machine if you don't have something easily accessible).

edit: Sorry I should have read that link closer, it provides little info. I just meant to say, your most likely solution is going to be to install g77. Not much help I know...

Ok, thanks :smile:

1. What is GARFIELD and why would I want to compile it on Ubuntu 10.4?

GARFIELD is a simulation software used in the field of gas detectors and particle physics. It allows for the modeling of gas detectors and their response to particles. Compiling it on Ubuntu 10.4 allows for a more customizable and optimized installation of the software.

2. What are the system requirements for compiling GARFIELD on Ubuntu 10.4?

The minimum system requirements for compiling GARFIELD on Ubuntu 10.4 are a 64-bit processor, at least 1GB of RAM, and 5GB of free disk space. Additionally, you will need a C++ compiler and the necessary development libraries.

3. How do I install the necessary dependencies for compiling GARFIELD on Ubuntu 10.4?

You can install the necessary dependencies by running the command "sudo apt-get install build-essential" in the terminal. This will install the basic development tools and libraries needed for compiling GARFIELD.

4. Can I use a different version of Ubuntu or Linux to compile GARFIELD?

Yes, you can use a different version of Ubuntu or even a different Linux distribution to compile GARFIELD. However, the steps and commands may vary slightly. It is recommended to consult the GARFIELD documentation for specific instructions for your operating system.

5. How can I verify that GARFIELD has been successfully compiled on Ubuntu 10.4?

After compiling GARFIELD, you can run the command "make test" in the terminal to run a series of tests to ensure that the software has been compiled correctly. If there are no errors, then GARFIELD has been successfully compiled on Ubuntu 10.4.