Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Garlic plant

1. May 19, 2005 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My garlic started to sprout, so I just decided to plant it.. it is growing some really nice roots and a stem already :approve: I just wonder whether it will grow into something nice or will just look (and smell) terrible in the living room?

Actually what I wanted to ask: can you grow a paprika plant from the seeds of a paprika (bell pepper)? I saw a paprika plant standing at a local Turkish store that made me wonder.. I guess I'll have to wait for my bell peppers to start sprouting :rolleyes:

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Paprika is considered a mild pepper, while the Bell Pepper is considered a sweet pepper.

Pepper types- http://www.chili-pepper-plants.com/html/chili_peppers.html

Growing peppers - http://www.chili-pepper-plants.com/html/growing_peppers.html
    One should be able to grow peppers from seeds. My next door neighbor collects seeds from his plants and plants them in the subsequent year. I need to get some habanero seeds from him.

I just planted 6 bell pepper, 6 jalapeño, and 6 cayenne pepper plants. I seem to remember using bell pepper seeds in the past, so I believe it works.

Paprika - http://www.soupsong.com/fpaprika.html

http://www.theepicentre.com/Spices/paprika.html

4. May 19, 2005 #3

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

At our local garlic festival the purveyors would sell seed garlic for growing your own, it was just single cloves that were then planted and sprouted. These were always hardneck varieties of garlic, which are more commonly grown in the northeast and are different than the softneck varities typically found in most supermarkets. The hardnecks, to me produce a superior garlic, with better flavor and shelf-life. You can tell if you have a hardneck by examining the top of the bulb, if there is a very tough woody stalk coming up out of the middle of the bulb, its a hardneck. Softnecks, if they sprout for you, will probably not produce a scape (flowerstalk) and the associated "flower" (bubils - really just modified bulbs). The garlic should grow indoors just as it does in your garden, although I'm not sure how much light they like, I think quite a bit. Its not a particularly pretty plant, but since it is a member of the lily family it will produce tall slender leaves and hopefully a bulb you can harvest later in the year.

5. May 19, 2005 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think so, according to dictionary.com the synonyms are: sweet pepper, bell pepper, pimento, pimiento, sweet pepper plant, Capsicum annuum grossum. In Europe the name is paprika, also evident from a google image search (did we misname it?).

What I am wondering is whether the seeds in bell peppers are actually fertile and whether sticking them in the ground will result in a plant, do they need special treatment at all? You seem to have managed with the seeds, so I'll give it a try next time I have a bell pepper around :smile:

I'm also already growing a sunflower in the window.. I am planning to plant its seeds all over the city and wait until they start growing :biggrin:

6. May 19, 2005 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I think it is a hardneck :)

7. May 19, 2005 #6

Evo

I have wild garlic and onions growing everywhere, I can't get rid of it. Smells great if you like garlic, but next to the roses... :yuck:

I also can't get rid of the nightshade that's taking over. :grumpy:

8. May 19, 2005 #7

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Do you use any of the wild plants in your cooking? Some of the wild or heritage varieties can be much more flavorful that store bought.

My only suggestion for the nightshade (short of herbicide) is to pull the vines before they drop their fruit/seeds. You will have to keep up with this for several years as the seeds that are already there can remain viable for quite a few seasons. :grumpy: :cry:

9. May 19, 2005 #8
    I don't understand why some people don't like the smell of garlic.

10. May 19, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, maybe that's what that plant is growing up the trunk of my half-dead lilac tree. I never really looked up any pictures of nightshade before, and never bothered to identify it because the flowers and berries are pretty enough that I didn't care if it was a weed or a cultivated plant (it's taken long enough to start figuring out what I'm supposed to pull out of the flower garden and what I want to stay). But now that I'm looking at the pictures of the climbing variety, I think that's what it is. Hey, cool, I'm all set for that terrorist attack of nerve gas that Homeland Security wants us to worry about...as long as it happens while the berries are ripe. :tongue2: (Any idea how many berries would be required for the recommended antidote dose of atropine? :rofl:)

11. May 19, 2005 #10
    However, roses love garlic.

12. May 19, 2005 #11
    I've heard of nightshade, but I don't know if I've ever actually seen any of it. What comes to mind, actually, is having read the phrase deadly nightshade. Is this some kind of poisonous plant? You say it's taking over, which sounds like a vine. Is this growing wild there, or did a domestic patch go ferral?

13. May 19, 2005 #12

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Potatoes, tomatoes, aubergines, peppers and what not belong to the nightshade family :tongue: as you know the flowers of potatoes are poisenous.

14. May 19, 2005 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd be careful, even if you are able to correctly identify the plant, the wild variety can be poisonous (as in the case of parsley).

15. May 19, 2005 #14
    I did not know any of this.

16. May 19, 2005 #15

Evo

Deadly nightdshade is belladona, ring a bell now?

The variety I have is the less potent (yet toxic) hairy nightshade, it grows wild and is nearly impossible to get rid of. The berries look just like little green tomatoes. Tomatoes (and potatoes) are in the same family Solanaceae. I believe this is one of the reasons that people were afraid to eat tomatoes in the past.

edit - Monique beat me to it.

17. May 19, 2005 #16
    Belladona, "beautiful woman", was so named because women believed it made them more attractive to put drops of it in their eyes. It dilated their pupils. However, that's all I know. Could be I pass a deadly nightshade plant everyday without recognising it.
    Hairy nightshade!

I read somewhere the tomato thing came from a general fear of eating anything red. Red frequently indicates poison. Ask DocToxyn's frog.

18. May 19, 2005 #17

Evo

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/Atropbe.htm

"The mistaken idea that tomatoes were poisonous probably arose because the plant belongs to the Nightshade family, of which some species are truly poisonous. The strong, unpleasant odor of the leaves and stems also contributed to the idea that the fruits were unfit for food." http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/publications/vegetabletravelers/tomato.html

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  19. May 19, 2005 #18
    But the prohibition against eating anything red (if it's unknown to you) also exists:

"But as a general rule of thumb, plants with a bitter taste, funny smell, milky sap, or red seeds or berries may be poisonous."

Address:http://www.chw.edu.au/parents/factsheets/poisonous_p

I've seen this "Don't eat anything red" extended to fish, if you're adrift at sea, and shellfish, if you're stranded on a deserted island.

This folksy rule-of-thumb strikes me as the kind of myth that would take hold of people's imagination more easily than a scientific classification. Although. basically all you have to do is get the rumor started and it gets passed on.

20. May 19, 2005 #19
    My sister tells me that where she lives up in Santa Barbara there are many wild tobacco plants. These are not the same ones that are made into smoking products because they reek of a strong, sickeningly powerful perfume smell. I thought that was odd. I think it would be worse than garlic. But I don't know how strongly the living garlic plant smells

21. May 19, 2005 #20
    The plant with the berry in the bottom picture looks familiar. I may have seen that. The other pictures with the flowers don't seem familiar. It's the sort of plain kind of flower that wouldn't get my attention. There are flowers around here so spectacular that you get jaded to subtle ones.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?