What were the causes of Gary Coleman's death?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, former child star Gary Coleman has passed away at the age of 42 after battling major medical problems throughout his life, including a kidney condition that stunted his growth. He was hospitalized in Provo, Utah after suffering a seizure and an intracranial hemorrhage. Coleman was known for his role in "Different Strokes" and had been a part of a group of friends in his younger days. He also faced conflicts with his parents over his money.
Physics news on Phys.org
As Mickey Rooney said, life's too short.

I was so sad to hear this. Gary used to live near me and was part of our merry crew back in the old days. He was a sweet guy.

Math Is Hard said:
I was so sad to hear this. Gary used to live near me and was part of our merry crew back in the old days. He was a sweet guy.

Merry crew? Did you work with Robinhood? :biggrin:

What was this? Do you mean that you were friends as kids? Whatcha talkin bout Willis?

Last edited:
Is it related to his short stature? Was he actually a dwarf or just very very short?

I thought Gary Coleman was Webster for a very long time. I was too young for Different Strokes. Coleman wasn't a dwarf, he had some kidney problem apparently. I don't know what was wrong with Emmanuel Lewis.

Coleman had lifelong medical problems related to a kidney problem.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/05/28/coleman.kidney.troubles/?hpt=Sbin
(CNN) -- Actor Gary Coleman battled major medical problems including an on-set seizure, several operations, transplants and a lifelong kidney condition.

The 42-year-old former child star died Friday after life support was withdrawn in a Utah hospital.

A kidney condition stunted his growth, leaving him at 4 feet, 8 inches throughout his adulthood. Three months ago, Coleman was hospitalized after suffering a seizure while being interviewed on a TV show in Los Angeles, California.

On Wednesday evening, he fell ill at his Santaquin, Utah, home, according to a hospital statement. He suffered an intracranial hemorrhage . . . .
Human blood is essentially toxic to brain cells. Brain hemorrhages cause brain damage via cell necrosis.

I remember hearing about his medical problems back in the 80's.

People die.

Ivan Seeking said:
Merry crew? Did you work with Robinhood? :biggrin:

What was this? Do you mean that you were friends as kids? Whatcha talkin bout Willis?

This was back in the mid-90s. We used to visit the same watering hole. (Not that Gary drank, he always had to watch out for his health).

So what type of jokes did he tell?

Poor guy, didn't he have a terrible battle with his parents over his money?

Astronuc said:
Coleman had lifelong medical problems related to a kidney problem.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/05/28/coleman.kidney.troubles/?hpt=Sbin Human blood is essentially toxic to brain cells. Brain hemorrhages cause brain damage via cell necrosis.

I remember hearing about his medical problems back in the 80's.
It mainly causes swelling of the brain (cerebral edema) with devastating results: intracranial hemorrhages have a high morbidity and mortality rate.

1. Who was Gary Coleman?

Gary Coleman was an American actor best known for his role as Arnold Jackson on the TV sitcom "Diff'rent Strokes". He began his acting career at a young age and became a household name in the 1980s.

2. How did Gary Coleman die?

Gary Coleman passed away on May 28, 2010 at the age of 42 due to a brain hemorrhage. He had been in a coma for two days before his death.

3. What caused Gary Coleman's brain hemorrhage?

The exact cause of Gary Coleman's brain hemorrhage is not known. However, he had a history of kidney disease and had undergone multiple surgeries throughout his life, which may have contributed to his health issues.

4. What other roles did Gary Coleman play besides "Diff'rent Strokes"?

Gary Coleman appeared in several TV shows and films throughout his career, including "The Jeffersons", "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air", and "Drake & Josh". He also had a successful voice acting career, providing the voice for characters in shows like "The Simpsons" and "Robot Chicken".

5. What was the impact of Gary Coleman's death on the entertainment industry?

Gary Coleman's death was a shock to many and was met with an outpouring of grief from fans and fellow actors. It also sparked conversations about the pressure and challenges faced by child actors in Hollywood. His legacy as a talented and beloved actor continues to live on through his work.