No problem! Glad I could help. :)

• Thread starter booooo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Heat
In summary, a spherical balloon initially inflated to a diameter of 20.0 cm with atmospheric pressure and temperature is taken 15.0 m under the sea where the seawater temperature is 16.0 °C. The gauge pressure of the air in the balloon at this depth is 27300Pa. Assuming thermal equilibrium with the seawater, the volume of the balloon is 1.93*10-3. In the second question, steam at 100 °C is mixed with 166.4 g of ice at –32.8 °C, producing water at 44.6 °C in a thermally insulated container. The final mass of water in the cup is unknown, but the energy supplied by the steam
booooo
-A spherical balloon is inflated to a diameter of 20.0 cm. Assume that the gas in the balloon is of atmospheric pressure (101.3 kPa) and is at a temperature of 20.0 °C. It is then taken by a diver 15.0 m under the sea. The temperature of the seawater at this depth is 16.0 °C . Density of seawater: 1030. kg m–3. The gauge pressure of the air in the balloon at this depth is 27300Pa.
Q1>Assuming the gas in the balloon is in thermal equilibrium with seawater, what is the volume of the balloon now?

-Steam at 100 °C is mixed with 166.4 g of ice at –32.8 °C, in a thermally insulated container, to produce water at 44.6 °C. Ignore any heat absorption by the container.
-Cwater = 4186. J/(kg °C)
-Cice = 2090. J/(kg °C)
-Lf,water = 3.33 × 105 J/kg
-Lv,water = 2.26 × 106 J/kg
Also,energy is required to bring all the ice up to 0 °C=11400J;
energy is required to melt the ice into water at 0 °C=55400J;
energy required to raise the temperature of this melted water to 44.6 °C =31100J;
energy supplied by the steam to change the state of 166.4 g of ice at –32.8 °C to water at 44.6 °C =97884J
Q2>What is the final mass of water in the cup at 44.6 °C??

Thanks in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org
Per forum rules, you must post your attempt at solution and any equations you know which you think may be relevant.

for the first question, I tried PV=nRT ..
used the gauge pressure as P , T=288k, n=0.300998 (its the moles of gas in balloon)...
i got the answer 2.72338*10-3 .. the correct answer should be 1.93*10-3

then the second question... i used m=Q/cdT ..
I don't know which temp should I use for the change in temp...

I've got the first question! yey
can someone help me with the second...
seriously got no idea on that one...

booooo said:
then the second question... i used m=Q/cdT ..
I don't know which temp should I use for the change in temp...
Why are you using that equation then? I'm not saying you shouldn't, but if you have no idea what to plug in, it seems like you're just guessing.

You have two sources of water, the ice and the steam. you know the mass of the ice, so put in an unknown for the mass of the steam.
What changes does each undergo along the way to arrive at the final temperature?

haruspex said:
You have two sources of water, the ice and the steam. you know the mass of the ice, so put in an unknown for the mass of the steam.
What changes does each undergo along the way to arrive at the final temperature?

oh thanks! now i get the answer ;)

1. How does gas contribute to climate change?

Gas, specifically carbon dioxide, is a greenhouse gas that traps heat in the Earth's atmosphere. When we burn fossil fuels like gas, we release more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, which contributes to the Earth's overall temperature increase and results in climate change.

2. What are the health risks associated with gas leaks?

Gas leaks can release harmful chemicals such as carbon monoxide and methane, which can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, and even death. In addition, gas leaks can also lead to explosions and fires, posing a serious safety risk.

3. How do heat waves affect our environment?

Heat waves can cause damage to ecosystems, agriculture, and human health. They can lead to droughts, wildfires, and heat-related illnesses. In addition, heat waves can also exacerbate air pollution and contribute to the formation of ground-level ozone.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another, while temperature is a measure of how hot or cold something is. Heat is measured in joules, while temperature is measured in degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit.

5. How can we reduce our carbon footprint and help mitigate gas and heat problems?

Some ways to reduce our carbon footprint include using renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power, using public transportation or carpooling, and reducing energy consumption in our homes and workplaces. It is also important to support policies and initiatives that aim to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and address climate change.