1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gas: calculating pressure

1. Mar 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Tums react in your stomach to produce a gas. The average adult stomach expand to one liter when full. Calculate the pressure in the average adult stomach after taking 2 Tums.
    2. Relevant equations
    Since its asking for pressure, and the volume is given perhaps PV=nRT should be used.
    Also P1V1=P2V2 might seem like a possible equation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm honestly not sure how to start this problem. I started with a balanced chemical equation for the reaction of the Tums (CaCO3) and the stomach acid/hydrochloric acid (HCl), which would be:
    CaCO3 + 2HCl --> CaCl2 + H2O + CO2. I'm not sure where to go from here or if this is a necessary step in solving the problem. Any suggestions in where to start would be helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What is the weight of a "tum"?
    How much CO2 do you get from the reaction? (In any unit you like)

4. Mar 3, 2015 #3
    One tums tablet is 250 mg. So two tums tablets would be 500 mg or .5 grams. If so, then would .0049 moles of CO2 sound correct?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  5. Mar 3, 2015 #4

Borek

Yes.

What is a body temperature?

6. Mar 3, 2015 #5
    37 degrees Celsius. Converted to kelvins it would be 310.15 K. Would I use this as the temperature in the equation PV=nRT?

7. Mar 3, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Sure. I think everything apart from pressure is known now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted