1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GAS Concentration in a chamber?

1. Feb 17, 2015 #1
    How can we find the gas concentration in a chamber without using a sensor i mean by calculation
    suppose a mixture of gas ammonia 10% and CO2 90% flow to the gas chamber how we can find that concentration of gas in the chamber????

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

10% and 90%?

Can you explain the setup in more detail? I don't understand what the question is. If you flush your chamber with a known gas mixture long enough then you probably have this gas mixture inside, unless you get some chemical reactions or something else changing it.

4. Feb 18, 2015 #3
    I'm trying to read your mind, because you obviously didn't explain what is happening very well. So, here is my guess. You have a chamber being fed with a gas stream containing 10% ammonia and 90% CO2. The rate of flow into the chamber is equal to the rate of flow out of the chamber. The initial concentration of the gas inside the chamber is different from 10%/90%. What is the concentration of the gases in the chamber as a function of time? Is this what you are asking?

Chet

5. Feb 18, 2015 #4
    we want to calculate the gas concentration in the closed chamber and chamber is evacuated by rottery pump
    and pressure in the chamber (Volume=1023cm3 )is 10-3 torr. now we leave a gas mixture having ammonia NH3 10%
    and O2 90% with a constant flow rate towards the chamber... now after a several time how can we find out the gas concentration(e.g ammonia) in the chamber??????

6. Feb 20, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Wait, CO2 (first post) or O2 (second post)?

With O2, it can react, then the concentration will depend on various details of the setup.

7. Feb 22, 2015 #6
    we want to calculate the gas concentration in the closed chamber and chamber is evacuated .
    and pressure in the chamber (Volume=1023cm3 )is 10-3 torr. now we leave a gas mixture having ammonia NH3 10%
    and O2 90% with a constant flow rate towards the chamber... now after a several time (e.g 5 mint) how can we find out the gas concentration(e.g ammonia) in the chamber??????

8. Feb 22, 2015 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Find the reaction rates (if they are relevant) and the rate of gas inflow, simulate the process in small time steps. Think about the temperature as it will be relevant for the reaction rate.

If no reaction happens, then the amount of gas inside is simply the amount of gas you let in, with the same 90%/10% distribution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook