1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gas contained in bottle

1. May 19, 2006 #1
    Sir,
    An open mouthed bottle contains a gas at 60 degree Celsius. To what temperature should the bottle be heated so that ¼th of the mass of the gas may leave?
    I think that by increasing the temperature the gas molecules gain enough energy to overcome the intermolecular forces of attraction. But I don’t know how to relate them mathematically. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

PV=nRT

AM

4. May 19, 2006 #3
    The volume and the number of moles of the gas are not given. How to calculate the temperature?

5. May 19, 2006 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

PV=nRT

There are two ways to approach this. Consider it as equivalent to a volume expansion to 4/3 of the original volume, 1/4 of which is outside the bottle, or consider it as a loss of 1/4 of the number of molecules from a fixed volume.

P is constant. R is constant. In the latter case, V is constant and nf is 3/4 of ni. So how must T change if PV = nRT still holds? In the former case, n is constant but Vf = 4Vi/3. Again, work out how T must change in order for the ideal gas law to hold?

AM

6. May 19, 2006 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think AM meant to say 5/4, not 4/3.

Edit: In light of subsequent posts, please disregard the above line.

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  7. May 19, 2006 #6

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, I meant 4/3. I originally thought 5/4 but changed it. The volume expanding to 4/3 original volume leaves 3/4 of the original gas in the bottle.

AM

8. May 20, 2006 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right...I take that back. The answer is clearly 4/3. As for an approach to solve the problem, I find making V -> 4V/3 less intuitive than making n -> 3n/4 (at fixed V, and ignoring the escaped gas). Nevertheless, by the first approach, my error was in forgetting about the thermal expansion of the escaped gas (by a factor of 4/3).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?