Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Gas contained in bottle

1. May 19, 2006 #1
    Sir,
    An open mouthed bottle contains a gas at 60 degree Celsius. To what temperature should the bottle be heated so that ¼th of the mass of the gas may leave?
    I think that by increasing the temperature the gas molecules gain enough energy to overcome the intermolecular forces of attraction. But I don’t know how to relate them mathematically. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

PV=nRT

AM

4. May 19, 2006 #3
    The volume and the number of moles of the gas are not given. How to calculate the temperature?

5. May 19, 2006 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

PV=nRT

There are two ways to approach this. Consider it as equivalent to a volume expansion to 4/3 of the original volume, 1/4 of which is outside the bottle, or consider it as a loss of 1/4 of the number of molecules from a fixed volume.

P is constant. R is constant. In the latter case, V is constant and nf is 3/4 of ni. So how must T change if PV = nRT still holds? In the former case, n is constant but Vf = 4Vi/3. Again, work out how T must change in order for the ideal gas law to hold?

AM

6. May 19, 2006 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think AM meant to say 5/4, not 4/3.

Edit: In light of subsequent posts, please disregard the above line.

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  7. May 19, 2006 #6

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, I meant 4/3. I originally thought 5/4 but changed it. The volume expanding to 4/3 original volume leaves 3/4 of the original gas in the bottle.

AM

8. May 20, 2006 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right...I take that back. The answer is clearly 4/3. As for an approach to solve the problem, I find making V -> 4V/3 less intuitive than making n -> 3n/4 (at fixed V, and ignoring the escaped gas). Nevertheless, by the first approach, my error was in forgetting about the thermal expansion of the escaped gas (by a factor of 4/3).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook