Mysterious Explosions: What Could They Be?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explosions
In summary: You heard police sirens and what sounded like mobile phone ringingand lots of explosionsIn summary, there were many explosions in the video and the sound of police sirens and mobile phone ringing was heard. The person filming seemed to be afraid for his safety and eventually backed away from the scene.
Physics news on Phys.org
cool !
reminds me of some of the training videos we ( I and fellow firemen) used to watch for fire service training back in New Zealand

These cylinders rupturing are most likely to be caused by BLEVE's (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapour Explosion)

The cylinder will rupture along the weakest point ( often along a weld seam)
In most cases the cylinder doesn't rupture at the point where the flame is impinging on it ( unless the contents is at gas rather than liquid pressure) as the liquid conducts the heat away from the impinging point. As it boils and vaporises and fills the cavity in the cylinder the pressure continues to rise till rupture occurs

EDIT: after reading what I wrote several times, I realized my incomplete explanation ...
In most cases the cylinder doesn't rupture at the point where the flame is impinging on it ( unless the contents is at gas rather than liquid pressure) as the liquid conducts the heat away from the impinging point.

That is, of course, unless the flame is impinging on the cylinder above the liquid level.
In that case, that will be the point where the metal is weakened by heat and it will fail there.cheers
Dave

Last edited:
OMG this is amazing! Look at those rocketing cylinders! Nice to know about that BLEVE's..:eek:

One video I remember from a way back in the day ...
was an LPG railway tankcar that the end blew out of and the tank rocketed 700 metres, crossed a river and partly buried itself in the far side river bank. a picture that has always stayed in my mind
'
there are masses of other big bang videos on youtube, have a look at a few of them :smile:

cheers
Dave

davenn said:
there are masses of other big bang videos on youtube, have a look at a few of them :smile:

Yeah, I just started off clicking on those suggested videos and saw many! :tongue:

Sorry, but I have to say this... Awesome! Like fireworks, boom! Ahahaha!

Is someone playing a Nokia game there? (I heard some Nokia sounds)

Psinter said:
Sorry, but I have to say this... Awesome! Like fireworks, boom! Ahahaha!

Is someone playing a Nokia game there? (I heard some Nokia sounds)

you heard police sirens and what sounded like mobile phone ringing
and lots of explosions

I love the way "PC Plodski" sits in his car until the excitement is over, then things "Duh --- maybe this is dangerous" and backs off to a safer distance at the end of the video :biggrin:

yeah ... seemed to take him a long time to comprehend how the dangerous situation was that he was in
D

1. What causes mysterious explosions?

Mysterious explosions can be caused by a variety of factors, including natural phenomena such as meteor strikes, volcanic eruptions, and earthquakes. They can also be caused by human activities, such as industrial accidents or intentional detonations.

2. Are there any common patterns or characteristics of mysterious explosions?

There are some common patterns and characteristics that can help identify mysterious explosions. These include sudden and intense release of energy, presence of shockwaves, and damage to surrounding structures or environments.

3. Can scientists predict when and where mysterious explosions will occur?

While scientists can track and monitor certain natural phenomena that may lead to mysterious explosions, it is often difficult to predict exactly when and where they will occur. Human-caused explosions are also difficult to predict as they are often intentional or accidental.

4. How do scientists investigate mysterious explosions?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to investigate mysterious explosions, including analyzing debris and blast patterns, studying seismic data, and conducting interviews with witnesses. Advanced technologies such as satellite imagery and remote sensing can also be used to gather information.

5. What are some potential dangers of mysterious explosions?

Mysterious explosions can pose numerous dangers, including physical harm to nearby individuals and damage to infrastructure and the environment. They can also create hazardous conditions such as fires, toxic gas releases, and debris. It is important for scientists to understand the causes and potential impacts of mysterious explosions in order to better prepare for and prevent them.