Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gas cylinders

1. Jul 1, 2014 #1

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2014 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

cool !!
    reminds me of some of the training videos we ( I and fellow firemen) used to watch for fire service training back in New Zealand

These cylinders rupturing are most likely to be caused by BLEVE's (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapour Explosion)

The cylinder will rupture along the weakest point ( often along a weld seam)
    In most cases the cylinder doesn't rupture at the point where the flame is impinging on it ( unless the contents is at gas rather than liquid pressure) as the liquid conducts the heat away from the impinging point. As it boils and vaporises and fills the cavity in the cylinder the pressure continues to rise till rupture occurs

EDIT: after reading what I wrote several times, I realised my incomplete explanation ....
    That is, of course, unless the flame is impinging on the cylinder above the liquid level.
    In that case, that will be the point where the metal is weakened by heat and it will fail there.

cheers
    Dave

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  4. Jul 2, 2014 #3

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

OMG this is amazing! Look at those rocketing cylinders! Nice to know about that BLEVE's..:eek:

5. Jul 2, 2014 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One video I remember from a way back in the day ...
    was an LPG railway tankcar that the end blew out of and the tank rocketed 700 metres, crossed a river and partly buried itself in the far side river bank. a picture that has always stayed in my mind
    '
    there are masses of other big bang videos on youtube, have a look at a few of them :smile:

cheers
    Dave

6. Jul 2, 2014 #5

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Yeah, I just started off clicking on those suggested videos and saw many! :tongue:

7. Jul 2, 2014 #6
    Sorry, but I have to say this... Awesome!! Like fireworks, boom! Ahahaha!

Is someone playing a Nokia game there? (I heard some Nokia sounds)

8. Jul 2, 2014 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

you heard police sirens and what sounded like mobile phone ringing
    and lots of explosions

9. Jul 2, 2014 #8

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I love the way "PC Plodski" sits in his car until the excitement is over, then things "Duh --- maybe this is dangerous" and backs off to a safer distance at the end of the video :biggrin:

10. Jul 3, 2014 #9

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yeah .... seemed to take him a long time to comprehend how the dangerous situation was that he was in

D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook