1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gas detection in a room

Tags:
  1. Jul 20, 2016 #1
    Hi

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post this on, but I guess it can be moved if it is not.

I just want to know what methods exists to detect gases in a room. Smoke alarms use ionization or electromagnetic light.

What other technologies exist on the market? What technologies are used in detectors that are used to detect, for instance, radon gas?

I know light is used to figure out the composition of gases in the atmosphere of distant planets. Is this practical in a room?

Finally, are there any more theoretical ways of detecting gases? What books should I read to learn about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think radon gas detectors look for the radiation rather than the gas itself. You can google that and how carbon monoxide detectors work.

4. Jul 20, 2016 #3

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

This contains a list of methods used for detecting Radon. If you live in the US, you may qualify for a free or discounted testing kit, depending on your state.

5. Jul 22, 2016 #4
    you also have to account for light or heavy gases when detecting them kind of pointless putting a detector on the ceiling if the gas in question is heavier than air

6. Jul 22, 2016 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted