Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gas detection in a room

Tags:
  1. Jul 20, 2016 #1
    Hi

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post this on, but I guess it can be moved if it is not.

I just want to know what methods exists to detect gases in a room. Smoke alarms use ionization or electromagnetic light.

What other technologies exist on the market? What technologies are used in detectors that are used to detect, for instance, radon gas?

I know light is used to figure out the composition of gases in the atmosphere of distant planets. Is this practical in a room?

Finally, are there any more theoretical ways of detecting gases? What books should I read to learn about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think radon gas detectors look for the radiation rather than the gas itself. You can google that and how carbon monoxide detectors work.

4. Jul 20, 2016 #3

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

This contains a list of methods used for detecting Radon. If you live in the US, you may qualify for a free or discounted testing kit, depending on your state.

5. Jul 22, 2016 #4
    you also have to account for light or heavy gases when detecting them kind of pointless putting a detector on the ceiling if the gas in question is heavier than air

6. Jul 22, 2016 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted