Gas excape from atmosphere

And over time, these particles will escape, leading to the overall escape of the gas from the planet's atmosphere.This rule of thumb is just a way for astrohysicists to estimate the time it would take for a gas to escape from a planet's atmosphere based on its average speed. It is not a precise calculation and takes into account the complex interactions and dynamics of gas particles in the atmosphere.In summary, the statement in the physics book explains that a gas will escape from a planet's atmosphere in 10^8 years if the average speed of its molecules is 1/6th of the escape velocity. This is due to the fact that there is a distribution of speeds among the gas particles, and some of them will have
UrbanXrisis
I'm reading in my physics book that:

"A rule of thumb used by astrohysicists is that a gas will escape from a planet's atmosphere in 10^8 years if the average speed of its molecules is 1/6th of the escape velocity."

they said this statement without any derivatins and I was windering why this is true? I mean, the molecules is not even near excape speed so how is it possible that the molecules can excape the Earth's atmosphere?

Physics news on Phys.org
The average speed is 1/6th of the escape velocity, but there is a distribution of speeds. Some of the molecules at the top of the atmosphere have velocities in excess of escape velocity, and thus escape. Over 10^8 years, essentially all of them will have escaped.

- Warren

so eventually, the molecules that are on the bottom of the atomsphere will eventually rise to the top and then slowly gain speeds that are above excape velocity?

what causes these gases to rise? and why do they gain speed at the top of the atmosphere?

Let's set the basics down first. The average kinetic energy of a gas is proportional to its temperature. It follows that the average velocity of the gas is proportional to the square root of temperature.

This does not mean that in a sample of gas at a temperature T all of the molecules will be traveling at a certain velocity. There is a distribution called the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution that (basically) gives the probability of a molecule having a certain speed, from 0 to infinity.(Or I guess Since the molecules are constantly colliding it follows that a certain molecule will have its velocity and speed change frequently.

Here is a chart of different gasses and their distributions to give you an idea:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:MaxwellBoltzmann.gif

Here is a very good program to visualize this:
http://intro.chem.okstate.edu/1314f00/laboratory/GLP.htm

The red marking follows one particular molecule. If you increase the number of molecules in the sample you'll see the speed of the red molecule frequently changing. You can also change the temperature to see what effect it has on the distribution.

Last edited:
so... molecules collide so that it transfer's their KE to other molecules where they reach excape velocity. I'm guessing that because of the changing seasons, during the summer, the molecules that transferred their KE to give other molecules excape velocity will be rembursed with speed because of the increase in temperature and so the cycle continues. is this the correct way of thinking?

Not quite...I think you're missing the point here.

Take the atmoshphere. According to your first post, the average speed of the gas particles is 1/6th that of the escape velocity. That doesn't mean that all of the particles are traveling at 1/6th the escape velocity. Some are traveling slower while others are traveling faster as shown by the distribution I posted in my previous post.

The point is that there is a certain, albeit small, probability of a particle having the enough speed to escape the atmosphere.

1. What is the process of gas escape from the atmosphere?

Gas escape from the atmosphere is a natural process where gases, such as carbon dioxide, methane, and water vapor, are released from the Earth's surface into the atmosphere. This can occur through various processes such as volcanic eruptions, plant respiration, and human activities like burning fossil fuels.

2. How does gas escape from the atmosphere impact climate change?

The release of gases from the atmosphere can contribute to climate change by trapping heat in the Earth's atmosphere, known as the greenhouse effect. This can lead to an increase in global temperatures, changes in weather patterns, and other impacts on the environment and human health.

3. What is the role of greenhouse gases in the gas escape process?

Greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide and methane, play a significant role in the gas escape process. These gases are able to absorb and trap heat in the Earth's atmosphere, contributing to the greenhouse effect and warming the planet.

4. How do human activities contribute to gas escape from the atmosphere?

Human activities, such as burning fossil fuels, deforestation, and industrial processes, contribute to the release of gases into the atmosphere. These activities increase the levels of greenhouse gases, which can lead to climate change and impact the Earth's ecosystems.

5. What are some potential solutions to reduce gas escape from the atmosphere?

There are various solutions to reduce gas escape from the atmosphere, including transitioning to renewable energy sources, implementing sustainable land use practices, and reducing emissions from industries and transportation. Additionally, individual actions such as reducing energy consumption and waste can also contribute to reducing gas escape from the atmosphere.