Gas expansion (Not Ideal)

In summary, a non-monatomic gas expands from I to F in the figure provided, and the energy added to the gas by heat is 424 J. To find the work done by the gas, one must use the equation ΔU=Q+W(on) and subtract it from the heat flow into the gas. Be careful about units when calculating the work.
awertag

Homework Statement

A NON-monatomic gas expands from I to F in the Figure (Since it is not monatomic U=3/2nRT does not give you the internal energy, this only works for monatomic gases, instead you must use the first law). The energy added to the gas by heat is 424 J when the gas goes from I to F along the diagonal path.

Picture/Figure: http://www.webassign.net/sf/p12_05.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well i tried using ∆U=Q+W(on) and doing all the possible combinations of positive and negative (finding work from area under curve) but I couldn't get the correct answer for ∆U. I hope you can help!

thanks so much
--aweg

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't seem to have stated a question. Are you trying to find [itex]\Delta U[/itex]?

What is the work done by the gas in going from I to F? Be careful about the units. It is then just a matter of subtracting the work done by the gas from the heat flow into the gas.

AM

Last edited:

What is gas expansion?

Gas expansion is the process by which the volume of a gas increases due to an increase in temperature, a decrease in pressure, or both. This results in a decrease in the density of the gas molecules and an increase in the space between them.

Why is gas expansion not ideal?

Gas expansion is not ideal because it does not follow the ideal gas law, which states that at constant temperature and pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its number of moles. In real-life situations, gases may not behave in this ideal manner due to intermolecular forces and other factors.

How is gas expansion different from gas compression?

Gas expansion and gas compression are opposite processes. Gas expansion involves an increase in volume, while gas compression involves a decrease in volume. Gas compression also results in an increase in pressure, while gas expansion results in a decrease in pressure.

What factors affect gas expansion?

The three main factors that affect gas expansion are temperature, pressure, and the number of gas molecules present. An increase in temperature or a decrease in pressure will result in gas expansion, while a decrease in temperature or an increase in pressure will result in gas compression. The number of gas molecules present will also affect the amount of gas expansion, as more molecules will result in a larger increase in volume.

What are some real-life examples of gas expansion?

Gas expansion can be observed in everyday life. For example, when a balloon is filled with air and placed in a warm environment, the air inside will expand, causing the balloon to inflate. This is due to the increase in temperature. Another example is the expansion of gas in a car tire on a hot day, which can lead to an increase in pressure and potential tire blowouts. Additionally, when a can of soda is opened, the decrease in pressure allows the gas inside to expand, resulting in the familiar "fizz" sound and bubbles.