1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gas expansion ratio

1. Sep 10, 2008 #1
    Hi All,

How to work out the expansion ratio of a gas fireball.

Eg:
    Just say we have a ball of gas-- no container, 1 liter in volume suspended in mid air & we ignite it, how far would the flame front extend to form the fireball, what volume would it occupy once ignited?.

An example of the equations would be helpful, i haven't specified what gas, density etc etc as i am not sure exactly what is needed to calculate this.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2
    Just to elaborate a little further on the above questions as it may have been taken for an out of the blue query--not so & any help would be greatly appreciated.

We have setup an experiment on a small controlled scale to find the volume occupied by the ignition of various gasses compared to the starting volume of the gas.

In our controlled experiment we have been using a gas confinement chamber with high Elasticity so once ignition occurs the confinement chamber expands to X area & volume.
    This works very well except for the tension of the elastic chamber itself, the tension increases with increasing diameter & confines the true volume change of the gas fireball in normal atmospheric conditions.

I need to be able to calculate the volume change of ignited gasses compared to our results & hence the question.

Thank You

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook