Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gas ignition limitation

1. Mar 30, 2017 #1
    So, this is just a simple question that crossed my mind. When say, a blowtorch or propane tank is ignited, how does the entire canister not go up in flames? How does the flame only stay on the outside and not burn through to the inside where the gas supply is? Will whatever principle this works off of work for any gas, even something as flammable as hydrogen? Thanks in advance for anyone who knows.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2017 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Do you know what the fire triangle is?

4. Mar 30, 2017 #3
    I expected it to be something this simple. Is the fire not able to burn what's in the container simply because there's no oxygen in the container? If so, what would happen if oxygen was one of the gasses in the container?

5. Mar 30, 2017 #4

Borek

Yes.

Apply fire triangle again. Preferably keeping the distance though.

explosion.jpg

6. Mar 30, 2017 #5
    By keeping the distance, do you mean the gasses would be kept in sepearate containers like a welding torch?

7. Mar 30, 2017 #6

Borek

No, I mean don't stand too close to the tank while testing the idea :wink:

8. Mar 30, 2017 #7
    In that case, do you have any recommendations for how to ignite it from a distance? Maybe some sort of fuse?

9. Mar 30, 2017 #8

Borek

Why do you want to use a bomb in the first place?

10. Mar 30, 2017 #9
    I was performing electrolysis with water to get oxygen, and was wondering if it was at all possible to use the excess hydrogen for something like a blowtorch. That's why I was wondering whether it could sustain a flame, or just blow up the canister.

11. Mar 30, 2017 #10

Borek

What is wrong about collecting the hydrogen in a tank and mixing it with the air in the burner?

12. Mar 30, 2017 #11
    Wouldn't that provide a way for all of the gas to ignite and explode at once instead of fueling a flame?

13. Mar 31, 2017 #12

Borek

You have already answered that question in the post #3.

14. Apr 6, 2017 #13

rbelli1

Gold Member

Myth-busters style experimentation. If all else fails add more dynamite.

BoB

15. Apr 6, 2017 #14
    Hydrogen, or whatever is in the tank, is contained by a structure made of iron or similar. (though very small amounts can escape)
    You'll have to melt the container first before the Hydrogen can react with anything outside of the container.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted