Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gas in a gallon of hydrogen

1. Feb 19, 2013 #1
    Hello.

I'm just wondering how many cubic feet of gaseous hydrogen are in one gallon of liquid hydrogen. I know I'm not being too specific and that many variables are involved (temperature, atmospheric pressure... etc), but approximately how many are in a gallon? And yes, I have checked Google. I have found nothing useful.

I wish to perform small scale experiments with hydrogen as a lifting gas in small balloons, in case you're curious.

Sorry for not using metric, I'm used to U.S.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2013 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    Insights Author
    2015 Award

Well, the density of liquid hydrogen is 67.80 kg/m³. From this value, you can find the number of moles of hydrogen in a gallon of liquid hydrogen, and from that number you can calculate the volume of gaseous hydrogen at your specified temperature and pressure.

4. Feb 20, 2013 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Without being too precise, there about 4L per gallon. Each mole of hydrogen (2g) should produce about 23 L of gas or 5.5 gal. You will need to determine the volume in cubic feet per gallon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?