Gas Law Calculation: Pressure Effects of Temp from 17-22C

In summary: I'm sorry, I should have been more specific in my question.In summary, temperature has a relatively large impact on pressure. Pressure is not impacted as much by temperature changes.
Tweaked9107
[Moderator's note: Recategorized thread to "Basic".]

I'm having an issue at work that I think may be down to temperature.

I have a sealed chamber that is 1m X 1m X 1.5m. The chamber has to be pressure tested but the results are all over the show. The only variable is temperature.

So my question to you guys is can you calculate how temperature will effect the pressure? The pressure I'm trying to maintain in 200Pa. The temperature varies from 17'C to 22'C. How much does each 1'C effect that pressure if we are starting at 200Pa and 22'C?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't given enough information. What is inside the chamber?

Tweaked9107 said:
I have a sealed chamber that is 1m X 1m X 1.5m. The chamber has to be pressure tested but the results are all over the show.

What do you mean by a sealed chamber ? Does it exchange matter or energy with the surroundings ?
If not , temperature will not be the only variable ( pressure ) and they will follow a simple relation , T/P = constant . Change in pressure would however be negligible .

Same for the case in which heat can be exchanged - Process would be isochoric and follow same relation as the previous case .

If matter can be exchanged , n*T = constant c- change in pressure zero .

* I was not sure which case you meant and so I mentioned all three .

Tweaked9107 said:
So my question to you guys is can you calculate how temperature will effect the pressure? The pressure I'm trying to maintain in 200Pa. The temperature varies from 17'C to 22'C. How much does each 1'C effect that pressure if we are starting at 200Pa and 22'C?

If matter is not exchanged and volume is constant , how are you going to maintain a constant pressure - Say if the change in temperature would be 50 K and not 5 ?

Sorry, I probably should have been a bit more detailed and specific.

The 1m X 1m X 1.5m chamber is empty (other than the air) and positioned in a room that is currently 17'C. The room is also positive 30Pa to atmospheric. The chamber is temperature/humidity controlled and sits at 21'C and when the door to the chamber is open equalizes with the room at 30Pa. What I'm doing is shutting the door to the chamber and pressurizing it internally to 200Pa using air, and then watching that pressure for any decay after all valves are shut. At this point the temperature/humidity control is turned off, and the temperature in the chamber naturally equalizes with the room around it, dropping from 21'C to 17'C. The chamber is pressure sealed so the 200Pa of air cannot leak out into the room.

So what I'm wondering is if that temperature drops from 21'C to 17'C in the chamber, would this cause the internal air pressure of my chamber to drop with it?

Tweaked9107 said:
So what I'm wondering is if that temperature drops from 21'C to 17'C in the chamber, would this cause the internal air pressure of my chamber to drop with it?

Qwertywerty said:
If not , temperature will not be the only variable ( pressure too ) and they will follow a simple relation , T/P = constant . Change in pressure would however be negligible .

So I should be able to calculate my constant and work backwards from that to see how pressure changes as temperature does.

No - the constant depends on a lot of things - just do T1/P1 = T2/P2 .

Okay thanks.

One last question and sorry to be a pain, what units should I be using? I'm assuming temperature in kelvins right?

Yes .

What about pressure? Do I have to use absolute... e.g. 200Pa gauge is 101525Pa absolute (assuming atmospheric pressure is 101325Pa)?

Tweaked9107 said:
What about pressure? Do I have to use absolute... e.g. 200Pa gauge is 101525Pa absolute (assuming atmospheric pressure is 101325Pa)?
You need to use absolute pressure.

Tweaked9107 said:

Change of unit for pressure is not required , but obviously , absolute pressure is required .

So this appears to make a fairly big difference, unless I'm doing something wrong.

Results:

200Pa @ 22'C
-144Pa @ 21'C
-488 @ 20'C
-831 @ 19'C

So fairly substantial changes there.

Yes you've gone wrong somewhere .
Look at it this way - P2 = P1*T2/T1 . T2 ≅ T1 (If one is say 295 , other is 294) .

So P2 ≅ P1 . So you can see your answer is wrong .

Why don't you post your working ?

So the pressure is 200Pa gauge or 101525 absolute @ 22'C or 295Kelvin.
I'm trying to find P2 after a 1'C pressure drop so 21'C.

P2 = P1*T2/T1 therefore P2 = 101525*294/295. The answer for that is coming out as 101180.85 absolute or -144.15Pa gauge.

Yeah sorry my bad . But if you could correct this :

Tweaked9107 said:
So the pressure is 200Pa gauge or 101525 absolute @ 22'C or 295Kelvin.

I think you mean 200kPa .

Tweaked9107 said:
So fairly substantial changes there.

Not in an absolute sense; these are gauge pressures, so all this is telling you is that the pressure inside the sealed chamber goes from a little bit above atmospheric to a little bit below atmospheric.

1. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, also known as the general gas equation, is a mathematical relationship between the four measurable properties of a gas: pressure (P), volume (V), temperature (T), and the number of moles of gas (n). It is represented by the equation PV = nRT, where R is the universal gas constant.

2. How does temperature affect gas pressure?

According to the ideal gas law, as temperature increases, the pressure of a gas also increases. This is because as temperature rises, the average kinetic energy of gas molecules also increases, causing them to collide with the walls of the container more frequently and with greater force, resulting in an increase in pressure.

3. How do you calculate the pressure change of a gas when temperature changes from 17°C to 22°C?

To calculate the pressure change of a gas when temperature changes from 17°C to 22°C, you can use the ideal gas law equation PV = nRT. Plug in the initial pressure and temperature values, along with the number of moles of gas and the gas constant, and solve for the final pressure. This calculation assumes that the volume and number of moles of gas remain constant.

4. How does the pressure of a gas change if the volume and moles of gas are held constant?

If the volume and number of moles of gas are held constant, the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as temperature increases, the pressure of the gas will also increase, and vice versa.

5. Can the ideal gas law be applied to all gases?

The ideal gas law is a good approximation for most gases at low pressures and high temperatures. However, at high pressures and low temperatures, the behavior of gases may deviate from the predictions of the ideal gas law. In these cases, more complex equations, such as the van der Waals equation, may be used to accurately calculate gas properties.