1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gas laws question

1. May 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the resulting pressure when the quantities of gases listed below
    are mixed and placed in a 12 L vessel at constant temperature?
    4.0 L Ne measured @ 2.0 atm
    2.0 L He measured @ 3.0 atm
    2.0 L Ar measured @ 5.0 atm

2. Relevant equations
    P1V1=P2V2

3. The attempt at a solution
    the answer is 2.0 atm.and i have no clue how they figured that out.
    because i tried to do it by the above equation. and that definitely did not work out.and then i tried adding up the initial volumes:8 L and the initial temperatures:10 atm.and that didn't work either.so basically;i need helpp.
    and hopefully.before tuesday morning.because that's when my ap chem test is. which is why you see me here posting all these questions.

thanks a lot physicsforum people.you guys seriously save my life these days :redface:

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2007 #2
    One method: calculate the number of mole of each component, add up, use the perfect gas law for the desired volume.

Second method: convert all components as volumes for 1 atm, add up the volumes still at 1 atm, compress to the desired volume. (this method is the same as the previous one, but moles are replaced by "standard volume").

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?