Chem+Physics: Solving the Piston Puzzle

In summary, the conversation is discussing a webassign question about a cylinder with a piston in between containing hydrogen and helium. The first part of the question asks for the ratio of hydrogen molecules to helium molecules, with the assumption that the piston is in the center. The second part asks where the piston will be if the temperature is raised. The conversation also mentions that the pressure must be equal on both sides if the piston is in the center. The conversation ends with the understanding that the question was not trying to trick the person and the answer for part b) should be easy now.
prinzessin04
this is my webassign question for this week but I'm a little confused about the first part...
for part a) shouldn't the ratio just be 1 to 1, since the piston is exactly in the center?? or did i understand that wrong? I'm not all that great at chem especially when it comes to chem and physics together...
:eek:

A cylinder closed at both ends has a piston in between that is free to slide. At 22°C, the piston is exactly in the center when hydrogen gas is in one end and helium in the other.

(a) What is the ratio of the number of hydrogen molecules to the number of helium molecules?

(b) Where will the piston be if the temperature is raised to 59°C?
the choices:
in the same place
0.22 L to the left
0.44 L to the right
0.22 L to the right
0.44 L to the left

for part a) shouldn't the ratio just be 1 to 1, since the piston is exactly in the center?? or did i understand that wrong? I'm not all that great at chem especially when it comes to chem and physics together...

Physics news on Phys.org
PV=NkT

If the piston is in the center, and it doesn't move, then pressures on both sides are equal. What else must be equal? V? T? N? (yup, yup, yup).

Sometimes it's the simple ones that seem so hard.

Part b) should be easy now.

thanks, i just figured the question was trying to trick me like they usually do...

1. What is the Piston Puzzle?

The Piston Puzzle is a physics and chemistry experiment that involves a sealed container with a piston that can move up or down. The container is filled with a gas, and the puzzle is to determine the final position of the piston after a series of changes are made to the gas inside.

2. How is the Piston Puzzle solved?

The Piston Puzzle is solved by using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are related. By manipulating these variables and using equations, the final position of the piston can be determined.

3. What are the key concepts involved in solving the Piston Puzzle?

The key concepts involved in solving the Piston Puzzle are the ideal gas law, Boyle's Law, and Charles's Law. These laws explain the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature in a gas and are essential in solving the puzzle.

4. Why is the Piston Puzzle important?

The Piston Puzzle is important because it helps to demonstrate the principles of gas behavior and how changes in pressure, volume, and temperature affect each other. It also helps to develop problem-solving skills and critical thinking in the fields of physics and chemistry.

5. How can the Piston Puzzle be applied in real life?

The principles used in solving the Piston Puzzle can be applied in many real-life situations, such as in the design of engines and other machinery that use gases. It can also be used in understanding and predicting the behavior of gases in various processes, such as in chemical reactions and in weather systems.