1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gas laws

1. Mar 31, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Gas laws

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A balloon containing 2000m^3 of helium gas at 1.00atm and a temperature of 15.0 C rises from ground level to an altitude at which the atmospheric pressure is only 0.900atm. Assume the helium behaves like an ideal gas and the balloon's ascent is too rapid to permit much heat exchange with the surrounding air. Calculate both the volume and the temperature of the gas at the higher altitude.

2. Relevant equations

Ideal gas equation; combined gas law.

3. The attempt at a solution

Not really sure how to procede... If I had the new temperature, i could find the new volume, and vice versa, but without either, I'm stuck. Also, if there is little heat exchange with the surrounding air, how does the temperature change?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know that the process is adiabatic, you also know the initial and final pressures. :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?