Volume of 2 mol N2 @ 0°C & 1 atm: 11.2 L

• Thread starter blackjack18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of 2 mol of nitrogen gas at 0 degrees Celsius and the same pressure as 0.5 mol of nitrogen gas at 11.2 L. The solution involves using the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, and dividing the two equations to find the unknown volume. The final answer is 44.8 L. Boyle's law is not applicable in this situation.
blackjack18
If 0.5 mol of nitrigen gas occupies a volume of 11.2 L at 0 degrees Celsius, what volume will 2 mol of nitrogen gas occupy at the same temperature and pressure?

Physics news on Phys.org
blackjack18 said:
If 0.5 mol of nitrigen gas occupies a volume of 11.2 L at 0 degrees Celsius, what volume will 2 mol of nitrogen gas occupy at the same temperature and pressure?

Welcome to PF.

What is your thinking about how to approach the problem?

all i really need help with is the pressure... i have the formula for the problem i think (boyle's law) but i do not know the what the pressure is...

blackjack18 said:
all i really need help with is the pressure... i have the formula for the problem i think (boyle's law) but i do not know the what the pressure is...

What happens when you divide one equation by the other?

i don't know...boyles law states P x V = constant...and i don't know what the pressure is

is 44.8 L/mol is the answer?

I would almost agree, but it asks for the volume it occupies, not the volume per mol. I get 44.8 L as an answer.

blackjack18 said:
is 44.8 L/mol is the answer?

That's what it looks like except drop the /mol.

blackjack18 said:
i don't know...boyles law states P x V = constant...and i don't know what the pressure is

I don't think Boyle's law applies if the amount of material changes. I would think the ideal gas law should be applied instead. PV=nRT (n = number of moles, R = gas constant, T = temperature).

alrighty, thanks...

Should Boyle's Law be used in this problem, since the temperature remains constant:

What is the volume of an ideal gas at 1 atm, 12 L, and 25 degrees Celsius if the pressure is decreased to 0.8 atm at 25 degrees Celsius?

Yes.

May I recommend that instead of memorizing or search for different laws for different problems you could simply ALWAYS apply the Ideal Gas Law since ,Charles', Boyles' and Avagadro's Laws are simply special cases of the I.G. Law.

blackjack18 said:
Should Boyle's Law be used in this problem, since the temperature remains constant:

What is the volume of an ideal gas at 1 atm, 12 L, and 25 degrees Celsius if the pressure is decreased to 0.8 atm at 25 degrees Celsius?

Strictly speaking you should consider using the Ideal Gas Law PV = nRT.

To find unknowns in situations that some things change and others don't, then divide the two equations such that

P1V1/P2V2 = n1R1T1/n2R2T2

Just cross out the things that don't change between 1 and 2.

is the answer v2=15 L?

blackjack18 said:
is the answer v2=15 L?

You've already posted the answer. Are you answering another problem?

yes, is that the answer to the following: What is the volume of an ideal gas at 1 atm, 12 L, and 25 degrees Celsius if the pressure is decreased to 0.8 atm at 25 degrees Celsius?

yes, is that the answer to the following: What is the volume of an ideal gas at 1 atm, 12 L, and 25 degrees Celsius if the pressure is decreased to 0.8 atm at 25 degrees Celsius?

1. What is the meaning of "2 mol N2" in the given volume?

"2 mol N2" refers to the amount of nitrogen gas present in the given volume. One mole of any substance contains 6.022 x 10^23 particles, in this case, nitrogen molecules. Therefore, 2 moles of N2 would contain 2 x 6.022 x 10^23 particles.

2. Why is the temperature specified as "0°C"?

The temperature of 0°C is the standard temperature used in scientific calculations. It is equivalent to 273.15 Kelvin (K) or 32°F. This helps to establish a common reference point for comparing different volumes of gases.

3. How does the pressure of "1 atm" affect the volume of gas?

The pressure of 1 atmosphere (atm) is the standard pressure used in scientific calculations. At this pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, the volume of the gas will also increase, and vice versa.

4. What does "11.2 L" represent in the given information?

"11.2 L" is the volume of the gas, nitrogen (N2), at 0°C and 1 atm pressure. This means that if 2 moles of N2 gas are present at 0°C and 1 atm, it will occupy a volume of 11.2 liters.

5. How does the volume of 2 mol N2 @ 0°C & 1 atm compare to other gases at the same conditions?

At the same conditions of 0°C and 1 atm, the volume of 2 mol N2 is equal to the volume of any other gas. This is because the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and pressure, regardless of the type of gas present.