How is density linked to mass and mols?

In summary, the conversation involves a person apologizing for numerous posts and explaining that they are trying to catch up on missed work. They ask a question about how density is linked to mass and mols, and provide two homework problems involving gas cylinders and car tires. The equations and solutions for both problems are discussed, and the conversation ends with a clarification on how to calculate density.
JosephF
Apologies for numerous posts today, I'm trying to catch up from work I missed last term, and my uni is on holiday at the moment so can't get help from lecturers.

I've got these two questions. I think I've correctly worked them out however I'm currently stuck on the last part. How is density linked to mass and mols?

Homework Statement

1 A gas cylinder contains 0.12 m3 of a gas at a pressure of 4545 kPa. What volume would it occupy if it was all released into a pressure of 101 kPa? Assume the temperature remains constant.

2 A car tyre of volume 1.0 * 10-2 m3 contains air at a pressure of 300 kPa and at a temperature of 17oC. The mass of one mole of air is 2.9 *10-2 kg. Assuming that the air behaves as an ideal gas, calculate;
i. the amount of air in moles,
ii. the mass of the air,
iii. the density of the air.

Homework Equations

pV=k

pV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

1) pV=k

4545kPa x 0.12m3=545.4

Therefore:

101Pa x V = 545.3

V = 5.4m3

2)i) Assuming ideal gas.

pV=nRT

n=[(4545x103Pa)(1x10-2m3)] / [(8.31Jmol-1K-1)(290.15K)]

n=18.84995375mol

ii) mass of gas = 18.84995375mol x 2.9x10-2

=0.546648658

=0.547 (3dp) kg

iii) Please see above comments.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you normally work out density? You're given the mass of one mole and you've worked out how many moles there are.

Density = Mass / Volume

I've not really read through all of your work but seems right

edit: sorry >.< i'll try to be more constructive next time

Is it just the mass of the total gas / volume. So;

Density = 0.546648658 / 1.0x10-2

=54.66486586kg/m3

Have I got the unit correct?

Thanks

correcto

Yes units are fine.

Brilliant. Thanks for the help.

1. How is density calculated?

Density is calculated by dividing the mass of a substance by its volume. The formula for density is D = m/v, where D is density, m is mass, and v is volume.

2. What is the relationship between density and mass?

Density and mass are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the mass of a substance increases, its density also increases.

3. How is density affected by changes in volume?

As volume increases, density decreases. This is because the same amount of mass is spread out over a larger volume, resulting in a lower density.

4. How is density related to the number of moles?

The number of moles in a substance does not affect its density. However, the mass of a substance is directly proportional to the number of moles, so a substance with a higher number of moles will have a higher density.

5. What is the SI unit for density?

The SI unit for density is kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3). However, other commonly used units include grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm^3) and grams per milliliter (g/mL).