Calculating Pressure in Two Connected Vessels

• Thread starter ice888
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, two identical vessels A and B of equal volume, V, each, are connected by a narrow tube of negligible internal volume. The system is initially filled with dry air at a pressure of 10^5 Pa and temperature 300K. The total amount of gas present is 80.2V moles. After vessel B is heated to 600K while A remains at 300K, the final pressure in the system can be found using the Ideal Gas Law. The volume of each compartment is equal due to the identical vessels, and knowing the initial pressure, number of moles, and temperature, the final equilibrium temperature can be calculated using the First Law of Thermodynamics. Plugging these values into the Ideal Gas Law
ice888
Two identical vessels A and B of equal volume, V, each, are connected by a narrow tube of negligible internal volume. Initially the whole system is filled with dry air at a pressure of 10^5 Pa and temperature 300K. The total amount of gas present in two vessels is 80.2V moles. Given that the temperature of the vessel B is now raised to 600K, the temperature of A remaining at 300K, what is the new pressure in the system?

could someone help me start off? can't think of what to use... thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Trusty old Ideal Gas Law looks good to me. You have the initial and final conditions.

i've tried PV=nRT for the final state, but to find P, i need the final value of V and T. Pardon me, is V a constant in this case? and how can i find the final equilibrium temperature?

Well the vessels are identical, so that tells you the volume in each compartment.. it also gives you the volume in each compartmen.

I'm going to bed so I don't want to leave you empty handed. You are given initial pressure in the entire system and the number of moels of gas as well as temperature. You can use this to find the net volume by just plugging into the Ideal Gas Law. Once you ahve that, knowing the chambers are identical, you can say that since the system is closed, the First law of thermodynamics holds and that the heat exchange is equal. This gives you the final equilibrium temperature. From there just plug and chug again into PVnRT to find the final pressure.

1. What is the formula for calculating pressure in two connected vessels?

The formula for calculating pressure in two connected vessels is P = (F1 + F2) / A, where P is pressure, F1 and F2 are the forces acting on each vessel, and A is the total area of the vessels.

2. How do you determine the total area of the connected vessels?

To determine the total area of the connected vessels, you simply add the individual areas of each vessel together. This can be done by multiplying the length by the width of each vessel and adding the results.

3. What units are used to measure pressure?

Pressure can be measured in several different units, but the most common units are pascals (Pa) and pounds per square inch (psi). Other units include atmospheres (atm), torr, and bar.

4. Can pressure be negative in a system with two connected vessels?

No, pressure cannot be negative in a system with two connected vessels. Pressure is always a positive value and represents the force per unit area exerted on the walls of the vessels.

5. How does the pressure change when the volume of one vessel is increased?

When the volume of one vessel is increased, the pressure in that vessel decreases because the same amount of force is spread out over a larger area. However, the overall pressure in the system remains constant as the pressure in the other vessel will increase to compensate for the decrease in pressure in the first vessel.